Need some help with Google Chrome searches being redirected.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Angelus21, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Angelus21

Angelus21 Private E-2

Hello all, I'm having this problem with my Google Chrome browser at the moment. With Chrome you can type searches directly into your address bar and get your results from the search engine you've selected, mine happens to be Google. Since Tuesday 11/9/10 however, my searches have been redirected to what appears to be my ISP or a site of theirs.

I tried a search with Firefox's search bar which has Google as the search engine and received my search results like normal, at Google's site. Thinking this may be a case of malware/spyware, I went through the cleaning procedures in the Malware Removal forum. Here's the thread for reference.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=226204

We decided to uninstall Chrome, run CCleaner and reinstall it which I did. However after reinstalling Chrome and trying to do a search I was again greeted with the same ISP page that I've received before. I'm here hoping that you guys can help me in hopefully nipping this thing in the butt and getting it back to normal where I'm greeted with Google's search results.

I've taken screenshot pictures of Chrome's address bar immediately when I press enter and also of the address bar that results with the ISP page. If you would like or need those pictures I can upload them for you.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

You need to post in the malware forum, not the software forum. :)

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

My apologies, I did not read what you wrote properly. I see you had a thread going on with TimW now already. ;)

4. Angelus21

Angelus21 Private E-2

Yeah Tim actually sent me over to this forum here since he found all my logs to be clean. Any advice on what may be causing this or perhaps you need some more information from me? Let me know and I'll help you guys with whatever you need.

5. Angelus21

Angelus21 Private E-2

Alright so I did a little more digging as things like these keep driving me to find an answer. Seems like somehow my ISP was intercepting my Chrome searches and redirecting them to their site as perhaps part of a new service or something. Best way to describe what was happening really.

Anyway after I walked away from the computer with the landing screen that I would always get still up I came back. I noticed a small link with text that said "Opt out of this service." So I ended up clicking that, greeted with a thank you message and now my Chrome searches are back to normal. Strange I tell ya but I'm glad that things are back to normal.

Even though I was able to get this fixed on my own I'd like to thank you guys for at least looking at the thread and issue. I've always been able to fix the majority of the problems I've had on my computers with the information and help on this site, glad this place is around. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds