Need some help with RDRAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sqwatter, Jul 13, 2006.

1. sqwatter

sqwatter Private E-2

Hi,
    Recently i decided to upgrade my computer and get some more RAM. at the moment i have a Dell Dimension 8250 with an Intel 850E chipset and had a couple questions.

Firstly, at present i have 512 (2 x 256) at pc1066 and i was wondering whether i can put 1 gig (2 x 512) in the other two slots. It's just ive heard that all the sticks have to be the same capacity, is this true or can i have the 512 in there already and 1 gig in it on top or can i only have 1 gig altogether as in 4 x 256?

Secondly, as i said above, the speed is clocked at pc1066 but when i looked in everest it says that it's only 1061. Is this normal?

Thanks alot

2. padams

padams First Sergeant

Why do you need a gig and a half of ram?
    Just use your two 512 sticks and take out the 256 sticks.

You probably have shared video, that's why it only displays the 1061 in everest i think.

Don't mix the ram I've seen it work before but then again I've seen it fail. If it's the same brand it won't matter too much, but don't mix brands.

Hope this helps.

3. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

When using Rambus i know you have to install matched pairs but i am not sure if you can keep the old memory in the system. On another note have you looked at the price of one stick of 512mb rambus it is close to 250 dollars so double that for what you want it would probably be better to use the computer as it is now and save for a brand new system if you want to upgrade.

4. padams

padams First Sergeant

well for the $500 he'd be spending he could have a new computer.

Forget what i said sqwatter, just go buy a new pc.

If you upgrade to that it'll be like polishing the brass on the titanic it's going down anyway so why bother.

5. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

The sizes have to be equal in the banks.
    Bank1 256 x2 , Bank2 512 x2 is OK.
    But be sure that you check your FSB speed.
    That Dell model comes in two speeds 400Mhz and 533Mhz
    and the RAM has different part numbers for each.

The 533 maxes out at 1.5 Gb, the 400 at 2 Gb.
    Not my money just lookin at specs.

6. sqwatter

sqwatter Private E-2

i can get 512 for around £70 which i think is around $110 so think i will probably get that. it's pc800 though so would it e worth it because then they all go at pc800 but then there would be double the amount.
    also, is there any way i could get the clock back up to 1066?

7. sqwatter

sqwatter Private E-2

out of interest, does 232 pin = pc1066 and 184pin = pc800?

8. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

If it's PC800 how are you getting 1066 Speed?

The stuff i'm looking at is all 184 pin.

9. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

I see you used the pound symbol. You are in UK.
    I'm looking at Dell USA.
    Do not spend a penny anywhere until you double
    and triple check everything with Dell.
    I'm bailing,
    Bad out.

10. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

As Bad said there are two types of memory for that system one for a 400mhz bus and one for a 533mhz bus you cannot mix the two. We need to know your system specs to figure out what front side bus you are running. Download this program and look to see what the system bus is. Click on the icon that looks like a processor. then click on where it says freqency and look for front side bus freqency.

|MG| Free Download - PC Wizard 2006.1.69

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds