Need some info and opinions on messaging programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by FTWchamp, Oct 18, 2005.

1. FTWchamp

FTWchamp Private E-2

I was looking to replace AIM, and possibly ICQ, with a less bloated and more secure chat program. I searched through the messaging section of this site and wanted to know more about Trillian and Miranda. I've known some people that used Trillian, so I was leaning towards that program, but I really only need support for AIM.

Which do people prefer and which is less of a resource hog and provides a safer connection? Is there anything additional I should know about either messenger and potential exploits? Thanks in advance.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

IMO, I would look into Gaim. Using the OTR plugin, you are probably looking at the most secure IM application. That is, provided your recipients use Gaim and the plugin too.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Gaim_d4262.html

I use Adium X, which has the OTR plugin built in. However, its not for Windows.

3. waltaja

waltaja Private First Class

i'm a big fan and supporter of GAIM

4. FTWchamp

FTWchamp Private E-2

Most of the people I'd be looking to contact on AIM, use AIM as it is. AIM was the only way I had to contact them, except via phone, so AIM was a good way to keep in touch. I doubt I can get them all to use GAIM and a few of them are not computer savvy at all.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. FTWchamp

FTWchamp Private E-2

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and pass the word on. I doubt some of my contacts on AIM even know what they are using and I constantly question what is on and into my machine. Especially since I just built this one and had a problem with zapchast recently. I'm clean now, but I guess I'm a bit paranoid.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds