Need surge protector suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bayougrunt, Jun 21, 2006.

1. bayougrunt

bayougrunt Private E-2

The thunderstorm season has started in my neck of the woods. We have already had all of the computers in our home fried a couple of years ago. The strip protectors didn't seem to help. The charge may have traveled along the ISP cable which did not run through the strip protector. The cable modem was fried so I suspect thats what happened.

Now, we unplug everything when it starts to thunder. A real pain in the you know what!

Can anybody suggest a surge protector that handles both the network cable and electric plug. I'm looking for something that can withstand a big jolt.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Go to radio shack ...they have cable surge protectors @$29.

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Brand name, APC I like, I think the other might be Belkin. 29 dollar surge protector for a 29 dollar computer. That said, no disrespect to TimW meant, its just that a decent protecter could cost you 50 or more. If money is tight, TimW's idea is fine :)

4. TimW

Agree with MA ....you need quality protection for the 'puters ....but I think the protectors for the cable modem and routers are just fine from Radio shack ....we have replaced two routers due to pass through on our cable connetion ...didn't effect the modem at all, just the routers ....since I talked them into the cable surge protector ....no outages at all. Routers don't cost any more that the surge protector.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Oops, good point Tim. Could he not get an all in one that protects his line and power? I never used the surge of the cable lines, I heard they dont work. Know anything about that? I mean where you out your cable line itself into the surge protector.

6. TimW

@MA ....We had multiple outages ...all coming through our cable into the routers ....computers were fine, in that our ups and power surges worked fine ....just kept zapping our routers ....Radio shack had combos for $70 and up to like $150 ....didn't need that much since the modem is in a closet by itself ....but in a situation where all are physically together ....would go for the more expensive (though not always better), name brand that offers warrenty on your whole system incase of failure.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds