Need system disc?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Brandox, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Brandox

Brandox Private E-2

i picked up a computer to try and fix well when i plug it up it says it needs a system disc and i looked and i couldnt find out how to make a new one.:confused
    Thanks
    Brandox:-D

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is the full message you're getting? is it "insert systems disc" or "Non-System Disk Error or Disk Error"

What is the history of this PC, if you know, have you aquired it with an OS (which one if known) on or just a blank HDD?

Check that if there is a floppy drive that no disk is in it.
    Check in the BIOS that the 1st boot device is the main HDD if a few HDDs are inside.
    Check cables IDE or SATA as well as power.

In the end it with limited information sounds like you need to install or repair Windows, so fot that you will need a Windows CD/DVD.

Could also use a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu to see if anything is on that HDD, or take it out a and slave it to another PC, BUT this is why I ask about history of this PC as if its been malware infested you dont really want to slave it to a good PC, maybe worth just reinstalling Windows or another operating system.

3. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

Some of the Big Box companies (Dell HP) have system disks you can get for a nominal charge. But you have to go thru their website...
    Obviously these are OEM disks and only work on their branded Boxes.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Creating a system disk, aka a boot floppy.
    http://www.real-knowledge.com/sysdisk.htm

rosiesdad, don't confuse a system disk with a recovery CD.

Brandox, you need to clue us in to what Operating system you are running and if you have a floppy drive.
    There are instructions for lots of flavors of windows to create either a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds