Need to be able to generate a list

Discussion in 'Software' started by maxwinter2001, Nov 29, 2012.

1. maxwinter2001

maxwinter2001 Private E-2

Not being a programmer, downloading and trying out Powershell, Robocopy, and Richcopy did not help with my issue as i could not figure out how to use them for what I need. Here is the gist of it:

I have a folder (call it FMain) with 8GB of data. In one of its first level sub-folders (say FMain1) there are about 200 second level subfolders (FMain2a, FMain2b, . . . ). I don't need to copy or purge anything. I just need to be able to generate a list of the FMain2 folders that have not been accessed in 30 days or more.

What's the simplest way for a non-programmer like myself to do that?

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

You can do it from the command line.

Start>Run>cmd and a command window will open.
    Change directories to the one you want using cd, example:

cd\folderone
    and press enter

or for a nested folder inside that one:

cd\folderone\subfolder

Once you're where you want to be, type this in:

dir /on /b /s >filelist.txt

And when you go back to the directory, you'll see a text file named filelist.txt with the listing of the directories contents. You can change this name to anything you want...

the /s will make it read the directory and any sub directories. Drop the /s to list the files in the main directory only...

3. cipher

I missed part of what you wanted, sorry...

Change the dir /on /b /s >filelist.txt

to

dir >list.txt

see if that gives you what you want

4. maxwinter2001

maxwinter2001 Private E-2

Thank you very much for your response. I never expected it so quickly.

However, I don't think you got the gist of what I need. I don't need a list of files in a directory. I need a list of second level subfolders that have not been accessed in 30 days or more.

5. cipher

Yes, clearly a comprehension problem on my end, sorry.

There are ways to to add switches, the /s things, to this to get access times. /T and /A but I don't know a way to get access dates for the folders, only for the files inside them.

You might have a read here:

http://www.computerhope.com/dirhlp.htm

No programming experience needed here...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds