Need to block wireless internet for my kids

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fuelman, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Fuelman

Fuelman Private First Class

I have verizon dsl with a wireless router for my home. I also have one business computer which is routed by wire to the router, one laptop that I use wireless and now I have a third computer I got for my three teenage sons, which is wireless.

What I would like to do is be able to allow access to the internet to my two computers (business and laptop).For the kids new computer, allow limited access that I can turn on or off at MY DESIRE to perform updates, etc..

How can I do this? I have Win XP home on my two computers and Vista on the new one for the kids.
    Is there a way to network all three computers and only I can allow internet access?
    ...or, is there a way to password protect internet access to the new one, that I can remotely activate?

Looking for any and all suggestions before I install the wireless card in the new computer.

thank you.

Brian

2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

The only way that I know that you can do that is to change the encryption on your router each time you don't want the laptop accessing it.

eta... Btw, if no one has other options for you and you do wind up doing that, make sure that you create a password other than the default (which you should do anyway but a lot of times people don't).

4. Fuelman

Fuelman Private First Class

Its the new computer for the kids that I would like to restrict access to, not the laptop. If this needs to be in the networking forum, could a moderator please move it for me.

All help is appreciated.

Thank you.
    Brian

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

If the computer is wireless, which you stated it was, changing your encryption code would still work.

If you are going to be doing this on a daily basis to control internet access, there is parental software out there to control that. I don't know offhand what it is, or if MG's offers any downloads for it. Hopefully, someone will come along that knows of some. Just know, that depending on how old your kids are, they are good at getting around software.

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> It's the new computer for the kids that I would like to restrict access to, not the laptop Fuelman <<

Here's a pretty easy (and cost-free) way you might be able to accomplish this:

You could opt to install Zone Alarm and then block/unblock internet access yourself using the "little gold-colored "Internet Lock" which located inside the programs interface. This solution will work with Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Netscape, etc. as well as whatever attempts to connect will be stopped dead.

The little gold-colored "Internet Lock" looks something like this:
    Unblocked.jpg
    Just click on the Lock icon to lock/unlock Internet access

Zone Alarm's program settings can also be "password protected" by the administrator (you) and it also has an "anti-uninstall" mechanism which will deny uninstall unless the admin password is used.

Then with the "Internet Lock" on, users will not be able to access the internet. That's what this function does; it allows the admin to block/allow all internet traffic.

Another method you could also use a separate "password protect" type of shareware Internet security software application to do this. These three below are pretty good for the money.

"Internet Access Controller 2007 2.2" - cheap and does a lot for only around $15
    'Internet Password Lock" has no bells and whistles - good little app for the techphobic $20
    "iNet Protector 3.0" - useful, many options costs approx $29 (single) $39 (family) for all your home computers

Good Luck!

7. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

By default, there are no administrators in Vista. (ie everyone is a limited account) Hence the UAC function everyone loves to hate.

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds