Need to Change Ethernet Card Parms

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bartolo, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Bartolo

Bartolo Private E-2

I am having Eudora problems with my new ABS PC with XP Pro SP2. I can
    download all mail but am having trouble sending any msgs that are over
    a minimal size. Of my 3 Eudora personalities, only the Gmail one can
    send any size msg successfully.

A Eudora guru has suggested that my NIC card is to blame and needs
    to have a parameter change. I have no idea how to do this.

My card is part of the motherboard and is a Realtek RTL 8110SB. Can
    anyone tell me how to access the card or where to learn how do to
    do so. I have written an email to Realtek, but they are in Taiwan and
    it may be a while over the weekend.

Thanks very much,
    Bartolo

2. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

If gmail can send send then why do you think its NIC card problem?
    It might be that other email account only supports that much size in one mail.
    Even Gmail doesnt support more than 10mb in one mail.

3. Bartolo

Bartolo Private E-2

"If gmail can send send then why do you think its NIC card problem?
    It might be that other email account only supports that much size in one mail. Even Gmail doesnt support more than 10mb in one mail."

On the old computer with the previous Eudora version, all was fine.
    Only the very smallest msgs now go through; no where near the max
    you mention. I cannot send a message of size 3-4 on the Eudora
    size scale, if you know what I mean - just a few paragraphs.

I ask how to program my Ethernet card because the woman who
    suggests doing so has my high respect.

Bartolo

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I tend to agree with kadavill, if one program does what you want and the other doesn't, then it should be a program issue. If the NIC card sends large files in g-mail, then it should in other programs. :)

5. Bartolo

Bartolo Private E-2

I follow you, but would like to try this suggested fix. On the Eudora forums, sponsored by, but not helped by the vendor, there are several threads on this problem relating to the latest version. Only one of the many complainers solved it by a parm change to the NIC. Most others are just crying for help.
    I have double and triple checked the parms for my three email personalities and they are the same as on my old PC.

As an untechnical user, I agree with the general idea that if one domain
    can clear large outgoing emails, then all should, but the suggestor's point
    is that different servers can have differing protocols for relaying mail and
    my NIC may be treating them differently (if I have it right!).

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

If you want to change your NIC properties, go to Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager. Your NIC should be shown under network adapters. Click on it, and on the Advanced tab there should be four parameters that you can change. I just checked mine, and they are all disabled! Hope this helps! :)

7. Bartolo

Bartolo Private E-2

Thanks for the tip!

Under my Device Mgr, under Network Adaptors I have two devices, both of which are marked as being used:

- 1394 Net Adapter #5
    - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

The 1394 has no Advanced tab and so no parms are shown.

The NVIDIA has 10 parms: Checksum Offload (Enabled), Flow Control (Enabled), IEEE802.1P Support (Disabled), Jumbo Frame Payload Size (1500 - Standard Frame), Lower Power State Link Speed (Enabled), Network Address (Not present), Optimize For (CPU), Segmentation Offload (Enabled), Speed/duplex settings (Full autonegotiation), WakeOnLan from Power Off (Enabled).

As you can imagine, these mean very little to me. For one thing, the parm
    recommended for me to change was to lower the value for "MTU." That would not seem to be in my list of 10. I see that all four of your parms are turned off, which must mean that our cards are quite different.

Given that my NIC is contained in my motherboard, is it feasible to buy another separate card to try? How would plugging in a separate card bypass the one already part of the motherboard?

Thanks,
    Bartolo

8. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

It is strange that you show two devices under network adapters. Do you already have another NIC card installed in addition to the onboard one? If you choose to buy another NIC card, all that you have to do is right click on the onboard NIC controller, click disable, and ok. This should prevent this device from working and having any effect on your computer.

The MTU that you referred to is maximum transmission units, and it seems that I have ran across this setting in Win98, but am unable to find it in Win2000 or XP. It might help to PM the user that changed these settings and find out exactly where it was done and how.

Hope this helps! I haven't given up and will research some more on this. :)

9. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I just spent 45 mins. searching the Eudora forums. I found one member that had the same problem with an onboard NIC controller. In your onboard NIC controller properties try disabling Checksum Offload and see if that corrects your problem!
    This is supposedly a performance enhancing capability when enabled. Hope this helps! :)

10. Bartolo

Bartolo Private E-2

Wonderful! You found it, all right!

I can now send the msgs that were hanging up.

I went through through those forums a few days ago, but did not put two and two together. How do I put you in for promotion to staff sargeant?!

Where did you read up on the meanings of these parms; that is, to find out that Checksum Offload is a performance enhancer?

Thanks again very much,
    Bartolo

11. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

It wasn't me that figured it out, but a Eudora user did, and that is where I got my info. Glad to hear that it fixed the problem! There is no need to put me in for a promotion, as I prefer to earn it, post by post, but the thought is appreciated!

Even though I'm not a Eudora user, your problem intrigued me enough to search for the solution. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds