Need To Clean Hard Drive!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Palleon, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Palleon

Palleon Private E-2

I have three different hard drives, 1 I use for my os, the other two I use for storage... I do a lot of transfers between these two drives and after a successful transfer the disk space on the orginal disk is the same as it was before I took the information off from it. I try doing some registry cleans to make sure it doesn't still think its there and some other utilities but yet it still registers the same amount. I figure there is some utility available that can remedy this problem, by doing a deep scan of the drive and allow me to delete any traces of the original files existence. If someone could give me a program to accomplish this task or an alternate method I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Are you selecting copy or move? Windows has a built in search to look for anything you want. For example, you could search a drive for just .jpg to see where all your jpg pictures are.

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

If you're using a third-party file manager or disk utility to see what free space you have, it may not be allowing for the fact that the source disk still has the file in the Windows Recycle folder. Windows knows that it can use that space for other files if needed, but a third-party utility may not.

4. SiLenZe

SiLenZe Private First Class

or if you use a program like norton utilities it has the un erase feature where it does not "Really" delete the files in the recycle bin unless you click empty norton protected files.

5. 4xx

4xx Private E-2

by saying . transfer..or move . copy as MA said ..
    You must say ,to move ,or copy files..
    Else as per default , sometimes tha original files stay where they are, thus may have ta removed manually..

Edit , to make things simple , after you transfer your files successfully , delete teh originating files ...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds