Need to delete recycle bin

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-7f4ca145be, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Good evening Geeks, running Windows XP Home SP3
    MY recycle bin is corrupted. I've found that it can be deleted in safe mode using the command prompt, and will recreate next start up. But I get a format error in DOS when I use the following
    "attrib --s --h recycler" which is supposed to give me access to a protected file. The format error seems to be with the "-". i'm using the dash key and I've tried the subtract key but get the same error. What should I be using for the "-"?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

If the command above is what you are using, use only one dash instead of 2.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

At the command prompt are you in C:\> or C:\Windows>? You need to be at C:\ so you can use cd.. and <enter> until you get to C:\>.

Or you can try from windows "Open My Computer and click on Tools | Folder Options. Then open the View tab. UNCHECK 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'. Then open C:\ and you should be able to see C:\RECYCLER" and then go ahead and try to delete the file. You might still need to delete at the command prompt.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds