Need to do system image for SDD laptop being returned factory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Texan, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Texan

Texan Private First Class

Hello. On 09-24-11 I purchased a TOSHIBA Satellite L775D laptop. About 5 days ago I began to get a notification that 'Toshiba Health Monitor detects a SSD Drive Failure. Solid State Drive I assume?

It's giving me the SMART (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) HD failure warning..............

[​IMG]

I called Toshiba and they are mailing me a box to ship it back for repair since it's under warranty. Of course all of my data will be wiped so I need to do a system image because I have paid programs like Office and BitDefender, etc.

They recommended Acronis Image Creator and said it was free. I don't find a free one. What is recommended?

Last question: If this is a solid state drive, do I need to create the system image on a solid State Drive?

Here is my Belarc report:

Drives​

624.24 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    367.32 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ141EL ATA Device [Optical drive]

Hitachi HTS547564A9E384 [Hard drive] (640.13 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 110614J2330053GS3WTB, rev JEDOA60B, SMART Failure

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 624.24 GB 367.32 GB free

~ Thanks so much!! I need to run out and get the correct type of external hard drive to create a system image because who knows when this will fail and I really need the laptop.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You can use the Win 7 utilities included in the operating system itself.
    If you have Win 7 Home Premium, you have to use a local disc (a drive attached to the computer). If you have Pro or Ultimate versions, you can back up to a network location.

Back up tutorial
    Restore procedure

No.

3. Texan

:-o I should have included this; I am using Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) - So I can't back it up to a network location. Can I not just back it up to an external hard drive?

Is Windows System Image tool recommended over freeware alternatives?

Thanks BTW!

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

A local disc means either internal or external. With a laptop it would have to be external and at least the same size or larger as your present HD.

I have used the System Image to restore my desktop on a couple of occasions and it worked with no problems whatsoever. I think people do not realize the capability is there to start with so they do not use it to be able to recommend it.

I have used Acronis also for back ups and imaging and it is a highly recommended program on MGs.

5. Texan

Thanks for your replies. So, I am still at a crossroads here. Toshiba said Acronis Image Creator was free but apparantly the only versions are old ones not compatible with Windows 7. Windows 7's system image tool doesn't work for my version. Norton Ghost is good but not free.

What program should I use?

Thanks!!

6. Texan

Edit - sorry I meant to write, Toshiba said Acronis Image Creator was free but apparantly the only FREE versions are old ones not compatible with Windows 7.

couldn't find an edit button.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Both ToDo Backup and Macrium Reflect have free versions that should do what you need.

You want to image the whole disc rather than selecting all the separate partitions because this will include the Master Boot Record (MBR).

I don't image as often as I should but from a quick look at Macrium it only puts used space in the image. So your image using macrium would be about 300gb.

I don't have ToDo installed so I can't say if it images the same way (putting only used space in the image).

If you use one of these softwares you will want to create the bootable CD (they both offer that option from within the program). That will make the returning of your image to the new HD easier.

Edit: I realize my answer is not comprehensive so ask for more details if you need them.
    Also wanted to say that it doesn't look like you have a SSD drive so that is not a concern.

8. Texan

Thanks. Macrium Reflect errored out on me so I tried Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 (Advanced) Free but it didn't support Windows (some #) I didn't understand the message. I bought a WD external drive and found a Acronis True Image WD*Edition (free!) which appears to have worked. Afterwards it let me create a boot disc with a DVDr and a boot iso I save on a flash drive. I hope it will work but I guess there is no way to test it?

I am going to call Toshiba back and see if they will just send me a new drive and then copy it if the back-up Acronis doesn't work. If it does I'll wipe the old drive and mail it back.

A guy I work with said he could replace the drive in about 10 minutes and has had a company replace his before so I will see if Toshiba will give as good of customer service.

9. Texan

Just to update my last post. I spoke with Toshiba again and they will not send me a replacement hard drive.
    My only option is to send the whole laptop in, lose all data I didn't successfully back-up and then get my laptop returned in it's factory state in 7 to 10 days.

They seem very familiar with this situation. I will be getting a different brand the next time I purchase a laptop.

Meanwhile I am out a computer because one of my PC's partitions was mysteriously converted to RAW format.

:banghead

10. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Any idea what brand of SSD is in your laptop? If it's OCZ I wouldn't be surprised

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The hd in question is not an ssd.
    Scroll down in post #1 where he lists the drives. It is a Hitachi HTS547564A9E384 about 640GB in size. (also reported as 624GB)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds