Need to know exact name of a part

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, Oct 3, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I am (finally) going to be getting a laptop or notebook (or something?) that I can be mobile with, and not stuck to this desktop all the time, and so I am going to need what I would "think" is a "NIC" (Network Interface Card), but I am not sure that this is what it's called.

I already have a home network (Router & Dongle) setup, for one of the desktops here to be wirelessly connected, so now I am just going to add a laptop or notebook.

Is this part I need also called a "NIC", please? As I may be purchasing the computer at a WalMart, I don't expect to have ANY help with what I need, and I am in the mountains here, a full hour away from any type of tech-stores that could help me with computer supplies.

Thanks in advance,
    glenn

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Most netbooks/laptops/notebooks come with both wired (NIC) and wireless chip installed.

If you are going to Walmart, look at the website and post the model of what you are considering.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

We have to use a PCM-CIA card on our old Dell but I guess that's old tech by now. Looks like this when installed.

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I own an Asus netbook (running linux since Jan. 2008). From personal experience, the Asus netbook has a single RAM slot. In order to increase RAM, you have to remove the 1GB stick that is in there. It comes with windows 7 starter edition.

I bought an Acer netbook (bigger screen 11.6", more RAM 2GB) at about the same price (excluding the gift card). It also comes with Windows 7 Home Premium, not starter. It has better battery life than the Asus; between 5 and 6 hours in constant use. The specs say 7 hours but I suspect some of that is down time.
    Target had it on sale for @249.99 and I also got a $30 gift card so I paid $about $220 for it.
    This is it http://www.target.com/p/Acer-AO722-BZ454-11-6-Notebook-Black/-/A-13472603 but no price shown.
    More expensive at Walmart
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AO722-BZ454/16685714

Both about the same speed, both support up to 2GB RAM (with the Asus you'd need to buy a stick while the Acer includes the 2GB stick). The Asus uses an Intel chip and onboard graphics. The Acer uses an AMD chip with onboard Nvidia graphics so it wins in the display department. Both have 250GB hd (though some Acers squeak through with 320GB hd even though the carton says 250GB). The Asus has 2 USB ports, the Acer has 3 USB ports. (From personal experience, two USB ports is not enough on a netbook because netbooks do not have optical drives. To use an external DVD burner, you use 2 USB ports.)

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

WOW!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Soooo kind of you as I am (currently) on a fixed income - thank you again very much...WOW!

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If wanting something to go mobile with, get a netbook. I have a Acer A0532h, running Windows 7 pro, it has 2gb RAM, 160gb hard drive. I can run Microsoft Office with no problems, six hour battery life, and the great thing is, I do not have a dvd drive on it, which was one of the reasons I chose a Netbook over a laptop, unless I hook up the USB one that I have, for that rare occasion, such as reinstalling the OS.

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well, hard-head that I am, I am going to ask if you-all will indulge me one final time here, as I am ready to pull-out my card and BUY!

Please, if you could give me your take/opinion on this (primarily the "cons"), I really would be appreciative (will provide two links, as you may prefer viewing one stores page over the other) ~~~

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=111483

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1215B-PU17-SL-12-1-Inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B004Q7I9EW

PS - Seems this Touch-Pad is dreadful, but I would be adding a mouse anyway...I can do that with this model, correct?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  9. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Actually I think I should start a new thread - thank you just the same....

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

grc123, I use the mouse on my netbook all the time, since the touchpad on the acer that I have is not the greatest. If you are taking it on the road, a wireless mouse or blue-tooth would be a good asset, just make sure the netbook has blue-tooth built in.

As for the dongle for a non-wife capable computer, the USB ones have gotten better. Personally, I like the card types for notebooks better, since they come with a better radio chipset.

11. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks - I'm sure I'll need a mouse (wireless), as all the reviews of this machine say the touch-pad is BAD, but how would the Bluetooth figure into this equation? I really don't know anything about Bluetooth, except for that it make for hands fee operation of a cell phone, correct?

12. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Do not go by the reviews, since you get people that are paid to bash services and stuff, to try to turn people to another brand. The only way you are going to find out if it will work for you, is to go and physically try the unit out for a period. That means if they have a fully operational machine that you can open word, play a couple of games on it, do it.

I did not go by the reviews, when I got this Acer, I went by the fact that I knew the brand, and how I was going to use it. Since I use it on tray while sitting in my chair, that meant I was going to use a mouse all of the time, vs the touchpad. I use a Logitech Mx310 mouse and it works great. The touchpad after you use it for a while, your thumb starts to lock up, plus I hate using them vs. a mouse anyways.

13. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Yeah, I understand that about "some" reviews, but these reviews RAVED ("good" "GREAT" etc.) about everything else, except for the touchpad (which I hate and have trouble with anyway due some disabilities in my hands), so I WILL be connecting a mouse to it ... for better AND worse, I just bought it ... . . . !!! I'm excited! I think I did WELL for $307.40 - SHIPPED.

Here are the specs (please, don't hesitate to tell me your Honest opinion):

Specifications
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
    Display: 12.1-inch LED WXGA display (1366 x 768)
    Processor: AMD Dual-Core Processor E350
    Graphics: AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD6310 Graphics
    Memory: 2GB DDR3, 1 x SODIMM (expandable to 4GB)
    LAN: 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
    WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n (@ 2.4GHz), Bluetooth v3.0
    Storage: 320G 5400RPM hard drive
    Camera: 0.3 megapixel
    Speaker: Built-in Stereo speakers
    Microphone: Digital Array Microphones
    Card Reader: 2-in-1 card reader; MMC/SD (SDHC/SDXC)
    Input / Output: 1 x Audio jack-out, 1 x Audio jack-in, 2 x USB 2.0 ports, 2 x USB 3.0 port, 1 x HDMI; 1 (D-sub 15 pin)
    Battery: 6 cell
    Dimensions: 11.54 x 7.99 x 91 ~ 1.46 –inches
    Weight: 5.62 lbs (with 8 cell battery)
    Color: Silver

14. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Obviously the speakers will suck but it's an otherwise decently specced machine as long as your eyes are good and have thin fingers.;) I can't imagine typing on that minuscule keyboard. Enjoy!:wine

15. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Actually the keyboard on my acer is not bad. You get used to it after a while.

16. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds