Need to know if my MOBO supports GFX CARD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lithic87, May 16, 2012.

1. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

My compuer spec's are as follows.

Asustek P5G41-M LX2/GB MOBO

Type 2 gig DDR2 MEMORY

GEFORCE 8400gs Video Card

I am getting low fps in Diablo 3 so i am going to upgrade my gfx card and I was looking. I don't know if this mobo supports pci-e 2.0 ?

I think it has a pci-e 16 or 32x

but this is the card I was looking at

GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card

or something like it or along those line's.

What am I going ot be limited to when shopping with this mobo?

2. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

No body know's ? Come on this is the genius forum I come here for all my questions.

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Ok i have a GTX 550 yes there a good video.

Well i think you have a On board video card right

4. Goldenskull

5. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

6. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

I want to try and spend right around the 100$ Mark and get a really nice video card and newegg seems ot have those kind of deals if you look, any suggestions ? the 140$ is a bit pricey that you suggested but i could swing it if it REALLY is the the best/only for that price range.

7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

BTW, if you don't get an answer in 2 hours, do not assume people dont know your question/can't help, just assume people haven't seen your post yet as many people only log in once a week, and as its free help your getting, shouldn't expect immediate answers. Just a friendly tip :) Now as far your 50 dollar card, im usually really leery of a card so cheap, if you want better performance in d3, you can expect to pay for it. It seems to be an ok performing card, but i personaly would get a higher end card.

8. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

I found that walmart is selling the GTx 550 he linked from newegg for only 109.99 on sale I think im going to go with that

9. Goldenskull

I know the 8400Gs is pci E 16 i have one

And like i said if you want a higher end card like mine you will need a bigger power supply then what you got.I think the minim watts for a GTX 550 ti is 400.I would get 550 or higher so that you have enough watts for future upgrades.

It's not just like you can go out and bye one and plug one right in you have to know how many watts it will take to run if you don't and you plug it right in either it will not work or it could fry your board.

Tell us how many watts you have on your power supply.You will have to open your case to do this.

This card
    XFX - NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1024MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card

is not the same as a GTX 550 ti trust me it probably get less FPS then the GTX 550 ti i can get over 60 FPS on most games.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

I have a 460w Power supply its a COOLERMASTER
    The 12v Rail is at 28 so it can support/run the 550 ti , I ordered the card and it should be here 2morra.

I read reviews of people iwth even 430w Power supplies and said they run it just fine. The 12v rail is obv more important than the wat's.

But i def will be getting a power supply next and a few fans because I want to buy a quad core and some more ram.

Thanks for all the help guys, Golden i appreciate your time greatly.

11. Goldenskull

Well a 460 ant going to cut it if you want a six core system you will need a 550 or higher to run all of the hardware Right now i have a 550 watt power supply it's running a

Dual Core AMD Athlon II X2 260
    Regor 45nm Technology Overclocked to (3.68Ghz)

8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 608MHz (9-9-9-24)

MSI 870A-G54 (MS-7599)

1024MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA) Factory Overclocked

156GB Seagate ST3160316AS (SATA)
    78GB Western Digital WDC WD800AAJS-00WAA0 (SATA)
    78GB Seagate ST380215A (PATA)

DVD Rom Burner ATAPI iHAP322 9

NVIDIA High Definition Audio

And this is my bare minimum i can all so get a six core amd and 16gigs of ram but i think that will come later but just with this setup i am probably close to maxing out my PSU.So if you want to upgrade even further i would go with a power supply that is a little higher like 600 or 700 .

The GTX 550 is a great card good for gaming.Its worth the money.

And i did not even include my 6 fans trying to keep it cooled down to 80F

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds