Need to manually update Avira Personal Free Edition

Discussion in 'Software' started by GeekUnleashed, Aug 5, 2010.

1. GeekUnleashed

GeekUnleashed Private E-2

Once I have downloaded the update files, how do I get Avira to use that update? The machine that I have loaded it onto has no internet connection.

2. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

3. GeekUnleashed

Yes it does!! I downloaded the update from here earlier on, but the name was wrong(?!) It was ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip - Avira didn't recognize it. This is the right one! :cool

4. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Glad you got it sorted! :)

5. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

Well, I AM connected to the internet and had trouble updating Avira. The fusebundle thing is a horrible name for an update file. I was frankly afraid to allow it do download.

6. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

OK, so I've tried the referenced manual update procedure. It simply does not work. When I click to start the update and then select the vdf_fusebundle.zip file, nothing happens.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Did you also try the other file (while for older versions) as it may work ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip is the name.

What Windows version do you have as if Vista or Win7 you may need to Right Click an Run as Administrator the file.

8. GeekUnleashed

thanks to all for an amazing response - and great help!! This is the sort of resource that makes the web worthwhile . . .

Thanks again!

@ Halo: The file starting with "ivd" simply wouldn't work as it didn't match the "file type" description that appeared when the dialogue opened from "Manual Update". The Link that Solaris89 supplied took me to the right thing, and it worked 1time.

I am using the latest Avira on XP Sp2. I will be updating to Sp3 just now, got the updater on on this site. Have kept this machine totally isolated from the net, to ensure no problems - oh, well, "the best laid plans of mice and men. . . "

Thanks for the help - I'll be back!;)

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cheers for the comments, indeed also comments like yours make it also worthwile in spending freetime helping other PC users.

Great stuff and hopefully your info above will help md2lgyk who has similar issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds