Need to repair, not clean install. how?

Discussion in 'Software' started by lipsofanangel2005, Jun 19, 2008.

1. lipsofanangel2005

lipsofanangel2005 Private E-2

I have XP Media Center Edition 2005. I need to repair it so I don't lose all of my stuff. All of my important files are on an external drive but I have others I want to keep. Ok i put the installation Cd in, pressed Enter, but there is no option to repair. So i hit enter to try clean install and it gives me three options. Format the partition, format (quick), or leave intact. I select leave intact and it tells me that "\Windows is already found on this system, continuing will overwrite this folder" or i could "change what folder i wanted to install the OS to." I didn't do anything, I just exited. So how can I do a repair with the cd or should i just go on and do a full clean install and just get it over with? i want to repair and leave my settings the same if i can, but i don't know what to do. if i can't repair, i guess i'll have to clean install it. any ideas?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. lipsofanangel2005

those are good guides, but it calls for the repair option to be listed. when i press enter, after that when it goes to the partition screen, there is no repair option listed.

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

You need to boot from the CD in order to get this repair option. So put it in and reboot with the CD inside your machine.
    Edit - sorry, I forgot: On my machine I need to tab F12 during restart in order to get the screen for a repair...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  5. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

It is a bit of a job. I just did a repair and that deleted SP3 and IE7. So several things need to be reinstalled afterwards...

6. lipsofanangel2005

i don't think ya'll understand me right,

There is NO repair option except to go into the repair command prompt.

There is NO repair option.

Is there anything I can do to repair it even though there is no option using the information I listed in the beginning of this post "Leave intact" option?

7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Well, it is probably going to be offered on the next screen that follows the one you've been looking at but don't gamble on it. Wait until more experienced users enters the thread...

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Unfortunately not all XP CDs have the repair option. Some OEM amd corporate ones don't.

The good news is that another media centre XP CD should do you, if you can borrow one.

Cordialis suggestion to make sure you are booting from the CD is a good one. You have to watch for the notice on the screen

'Any key to boot from CD'

9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try going to the manufacturer's website looking up your model and seeing if there is a manual. It might include instructions for a repair that could explain the "keep intact" option.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds