need to reset .sys properties

Discussion in 'Software' started by TarmanLives, Mar 5, 2015.

1. TarmanLives

TarmanLives Private E-2

I goofed when I checked the properties tab for a disabled driver called cdfs.sys.

I clicked Change on "Opens with" and seeing nothing appropriate listed hit "OK", but apparently I had selected Wordpad somehow. I couldn't set it back to "Unknown Application" so I closed the tab thinking no change would be confirmed if I didn't 'Apply' or 'OK' but no such luck. Wordpad is now set as the default to open ALL .sys files. I'm afraid to resart or restore the computer as I don't what effect it will have, especially since I did a full infection check this session so UAC is currently disabled :/

My bro thinks it'll fix itself, that the system won't allow that type of change. I had thought that myself but I'm not going roll the dice on it, that's for sure.
    How do I get the setting back to what it should be?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. TarmanLives

TarmanLives Private E-2

Looks like it would remove the Wordpad association but also leave the .sys extension an unknown file type. I'm not sure how to proceed from there :confused

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

That's exactly what will happen - the WordPad association will be removed. They wont become unknown file types. You don't want *.sys files associated with any program because they are System Files. Have a look at the snapshot from my PC.

Attached Files:

• SYS.jpg
      SYS.jpg
      File size:
      7.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  5. TarmanLives

TarmanLives Private E-2

That's what I was confused about, the properties didn't end up the same as they had been before. File type became "none" instead of "sysfile" and the default opener became WSC instead of Unknown. I wasn't sure if I was to leave it that way or not but I looked at FTM again and used it to change the registry key data to 'sysfile'. The default opener then changed to Unknown Application and all is back to normal :)

Thanks for your help Eldon. I don't know if my little mistake would've had an effect on the system side or not, but I've already had to dismantle this laptop recently to get to the CMOS battery. I'm amazed I didn't ruin it considering I'd never opened one up before and had no clue what I was doing. I certainly don't want to press my luck any further. ;)

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks for updating with the fix for this...:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds