need to restore printer spool file

Discussion in 'Software' started by purpleladee, Dec 28, 2007.

1. purpleladee

purpleladee Private E-2

My son deleted my spoolsv.exe file as an effort to cleanup possible malware with same name. Problem is, I cannot restore it with my reinstallation cd because it is a XP service pack 1 cd and my computer has downloaded service pack 2. I keep getting an -Error 5: Access is denied- when I try to start the spooler with the file I replaced with the cd. The details said it was incompatible with service pack 2.......how do I get this file as it does not seem to appear in my service pack files in c/windows? Thanks.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Try sfc /scannow will ask for the system disc probably, but should still work.

4. purpleladee

purpleladee Private E-2

Thank you both for your responses. I had already tried the scan but like Colemanguy said it asked for my cd and that file wasn't updated to sp2. I tried theefool's fix: It took hours to download, even on a cable modem but I successfully reinstalled sp2 and it restored my printer spool! Again, thanks.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Glad it worked!

Just make sure you check windows updates also! :)

6. purpleladee

purpleladee Private E-2

Following your advice, I am trying to install office XP sp3 which updates says I need. No matter what I do, it will not download. I tried the microsoft help pages, installed new active x downloader from them, tried to install the larger file, tried using the cd for office (which microsoft asked for), etc. Then I searched this site and found a reference to:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=144493&highlight=office+source+engine

OFFICE SOURCE ENGINE. I do not have this option in my local services box so I obviously cannot use the above referenced fix.

One thing leads to another.............:)

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

No problem. Try a repair install of office. Then retry installing sp3 for office xp.

But, I should refraise (sp?) my stance of doing windows updates. I was merely wanting windows update, not office updates. But, hey, at least something else cropped up.

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds