Need to use a computer as a proxy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lamborman, Jun 13, 2009.

1. lamborman

lamborman Private E-2

Guys I am wondering what is the best way of going about this?

Basically I want to use a computer of mine hooked up to the internet, as a proxy to use from another computer abroad.

To be more specific. I want to Go on the internet in a different country and browse the internet with an IP of the computer in this country. A further thing that I need is I need to be able to connect to this computer's modem/router from the remote location and be able to reset the modem, in order to change the IP address. The modem can be reset from the modems controll panel.

Using windows vista, what would be the best way of going about this? a simple windows remote assistance set up.

I could even have a person click on things in the computer, like turn it of and on, while I'm away....

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Set up SSH.
    http://lifehacker.com/software/home...-set-up-a-personal-home-ssh-server-205090.php
    &
    http://lifehacker.com/237227/geek-to-live--encrypt-your-web-browsing-session-with-an-ssh-socks-proxy

I have it on my router (linksys with dd-wrt) and when I connect to it my ip goes from North Carolina (the corp office) to my home (ohio) RoadRunner, so I am sure if I was out of the country it would do the same. Then I have a'local' acces to RoadRunner specific sites & geospecific ads are targeted for Ohio, because of the tunnel.

3. lamborman

lamborman Private E-2

sounds good, so will this allow me to change the IPs at will by accessing my router. Its a BT homehub here in the UK

4. foogoo

Yes, because the server is the one making the requests with its IP.

5. lamborman

lamborman Private E-2

I've just been trying to install this and I keep getting the error message

ERROR: Problem with LocalSystem or Administrator ID

I run it as the administrator, I'm not sure what the problem is. Is there anything easier I cand do?

6. foogoo

installing what? cygwin?

7. lamborman

lamborman Private E-2

no cygwin installs fine, but when I run it, and type in the ssh-host-config, it gives me that error

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds