Need Toshiba Satellite A205 recovery disc

Discussion in 'Software' started by DjHugz, Jul 14, 2011.

1. DjHugz

DjHugz Private E-2

I recently got a used laptop (Toshiba Satellite A205-S5841 with Windows Vista) from a friend and I want to have reformatted to out-of-box settings. He was a download junkie, I don't even know what most of these programs are. I tried wiping my registry and almost couldn't start my computer back up and still didn't get rid of half of it. I know how to take care of a computer but I can't fix one when it's broken. So I want to know how to get a recovery disc (preferably free) so I can start over.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

3. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Not sure about that particular Model, but most Toshiba's have a seperate partition on your HD for system restore.

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    You can order disks here. Models older than 2006 are not supported.

https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceUnitVerification.jsp?orderType=SFF

If you have a recovery partition on the computer, you can set it back to a factory state using the following method.

On Page 61 of the users manual.

To recover the original factory image using the utilities on your
    computer’s internal storage drive:
    1 Make sure the computer is turned off.
    2 Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while
    powering on the computer.
    3 A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is
    executed all data will be deleted and rewritten. Click Yes to
    continue.

https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2737864&pf=true

Support page:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...5841&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

5. DjHugz

DjHugz Private E-2

Thanks guys but none of it will work, i tried holding 0 at start screen, it did nothing, and i'm broke as heck right now, so i can't buy a recovery disc, i tried looking for the recovery disc creator on my computer, and i don't have one. One of my friends told me that if I install a newer version of windows it will clear it too, that doesn't seem logical to me, is that true :confused

6. tgell

You do not hold the 0 key at the start screen. Power down the computer and then while holding down the 0 key, power on the computer and keep holding it down. Is that what you tried?

When you go into Disk Management, do you see a recovery partition?

7. DjHugz

DjHugz Private E-2

no i'll try that and let you know

8. DjHugz

DjHugz Private E-2

No, it just takes me to a screen that asks if I want to start up in safe mode or standard mode.

9. tgell

When you go into Disk Management, how many partitions do you see and how big are they?

10. DjHugz

DjHugz Private E-2

I can't find disk management

11. tgell

Right click My Computer and select "Manage". From there select "Disk Management". You may have to do this in a admin account.

12. DjHugz

DjHugz Private E-2

ok there is 2 partitions, one is 1.46 gb and the other is 147.58 gb

13. tgell

Does the partition that it 1.48GB have a name?

14. DjHugz

DjHugz Private E-2

I don't know but this is everything it says: Volume: it's blank, Layout: simple, Type: basic, File System: blank again, Status: healthy (EISA configuration), Capacity: 1.46 gb, Free Space: 1.46 gb, % Free: 100%, Fault Tolerance: no, Overhead: 0% :confused

15. tgell

Sorry,
    It looks like you no longer have any recovery partition. Only option now will be to buy the restore CD's.

16. DjHugz

DjHugz Private E-2

alright, thanks for trying bro. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds