Need USB3.0 controller card...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, Jun 27, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A friend recently built his new PC in to a CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer case. It has front panel USB3.0 ports; the cable that runs these ports has a new connector that I haven't seen before, but a bit of research tells me that this is going to be the norm for front panel USB3.0. However, his motherboard does NOT have the required header for this cable, so we're looking for a USB3.0 controller card (either PCI or PCIex1) that has a header for this cable.

I attached a picture from the case user manual to illustrate what we're looking for.... obviously, the header on the USB3.0 controller card would have a pin-out as shown on the left, and the end of the cable is shown on the right....

THANKS!

Attached Files:

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Does it not have any front panel usb connections? Page 15 of the manual appears that there are instructions for USB 2.0.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ theefool: Yeah, up front the case has 2 regular USB2.0 ports that work perfectly, but we obviously want to get the 2 front USB3.0 ports working also, and the mobo didn't have the appropriate header.

@ usafveteran: those are indeed USB3.0 controller cards, but none have the weird 20pin header required (notice my pic attached to post #1 above)

@ tgell: yup - that one looks like it will work, now it's a question of tracking down a place to buy it! At least there's a part/model number to work with.

For future reference, the type of connector I need has been named "USB3 ICC" by the industry....

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I was just thinking, if there's a USB3 ICC-to-2x USB3-A Male adapter, that would work also as I could plug one end into the USB3 ICC cable attached to the case, and then run the USB3-A Male end of the cable out the back of case and plug it into the two USB3.0 ports on the rear of the motherboard.....

Kind of like the exact opposite of this adapter. I'd need the USB3 ICC end to be male pins, and the std. blue USB female ports would have to be male ports at the end of 12"-18" cables....

(yeah - right - good luck with that one dlb LOL )

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It appears that the SilverStone SST-PS06B-W case comes with an adapter to USB2 from USB3 ICC as shown below...

[​IMG]

While this isn't an ideal solution, it would at least allow the use of the 2 blue USB3 ports on the front of the case instead of leaving 'em disconnected and worthless.

(a full review of this case can be found here . . . that's where I stole the picture from :innocent :-o )

8. heysamster

heysamster Private E-2

9. tgell

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. tgell

Sorry,
    It looks like that first link I posted is not for North America.

11. heysamster

heysamster Private E-2

Neither of those are what we are looking for. The cable for the front USB 3.0 ports on the CoolerMaster Enforcer case has the 19pin female connector on it.

What I need is a 19pin male on the one end to two usb male ends so I can connect it to the two USB 3.0 ports on the back.

Or I need an internal PCI card that has the male header on it; like this one
    http://www.lycom.com.tw/UB-114i.htm

12. oimpastato

oimpastato Private E-2

Well, I am on e the same boat!

And I just found a card that is manufactured in California.

http://koutech.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=546

I am going to call them on Monday 8/1:
    Koutech Systems, Inc.
    15308 E. Valley Blvd.,
    City of Industry, CA 91746
    Tel: (626) 369-9600
    Fax: (626) 369-3939

They should tell me where to get one...crossing fingers! USB 3.0 is fairly new... :major

13. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for the update!!!

PLEASE post and let us know what happens... I really could use one of those adapters (I'd probably buy several of 'em for future use).

:-D

14. bourlias7

bourlias7 Private E-2

15. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ bourlias7: yup, that's exactly what I needed . . . I don't need it anymore, but I may buy a few of 'em anyway for future use.

16. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

edited - I posted in the wrong thread :-o

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds