Need Wireless Network Recommendations..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zbalz, Aug 27, 2004.

1. zbalz

zbalz Private E-2

Hi my brother just moved a few states south. He and 2 of his roommates all have laptops and they just recently got cable internet. He is semi-computer literate so I am going to do my best to help him set up over the phone.

Anyway, I am well-experienced in networking, but I have no experience in wireless networking. I know it is as simple as one wireless router with one wireless ethernet card for each computer station. I know I want to get 802.11g as well.

Tigerdirect currently has a deal on the U.S. Robotics - USR8054 - 100Mbps 802.11g Wireless Turbo Router here which I am almost certain I will get because of the good reviews.

I just have questions on wireless PCMCIA networking cards (laptop network cards). Does it really matter which ones I buy (aside from 10mbps and 100mbps)? They seem to range from $10 all the way to like $70. For example whats the difference between the Trendware - TEW-421PC - 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless PC Card and the U.S. Robotics - USR5410 - 100Mbps 802.11g Wireless Turbo PC Card ? Normally I would choose the USR5410 just to keep consistency between brand names if I get the US Robotics router.
    Are there significant differences?

Any other tips/reviews on wireless networking you want to throw out there?

Thanks again guys,

zbalz

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

You get what you pay for.. and don't buy any linksys wireless NIC's.

3. ajupin

ajupin Private E-2

Don't buy Belkin either. Got them with a nice rebate at CompUSSR a couple months ago and they have driven me to the point of wanting to go wired again.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

May be this can Help:

Link to:Wireless What Should I Get?

P.S. If you are the Hacker Type you might want to take a look at the Linksys 802.11g Wireless Router. it is very popular among people who like to Hack.

With a third party Hacked firmware it is a very versatile Wireless Router: http://docs.sveasoft.com/SV-Guide.html

:cool:

5. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

6. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

Don't be fooled though, a wireless 100Mbs router and adapter won't run at 100Mbs.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds