needing new parts....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rage2K, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Rage2K

Rage2K Private E-2

Hey Geeks. Couple of months ago I was on my computer surfing the web when my mouse stopped working, then it started working again a few seconds later. Next I'm getting USB errors saying that devices or problems with the ports are happening (sorry i can't be more specific since it was 2 months ago) but then my computer just completely shut down. So, I just went ahead and tried to reboot but to no avail. Next day I figure it was the PSU that went out so I get another one and that doesn't solve anything. So I start going through a checklist of possible problems. Tried a different PSU thinking maybe the one I had just bought could be defective but no luck there. Ended up testing the new PSU I bought and my old one in a different computer and both worked fine so I now have another spare part around the house. Tried to power with no drives or anything plugged and still no startup. Reconnected all the power, reset, etc. and still no luck. Tested RAM, checked out OK. Changed CMOS battery, still nothing. Tried different power cords, sorry. So I'm guessing either the MOBO or CPU is gone?!?! Anyone care to offer another possibility? Then on top of this while I was messing around I broke my video card although I think I can repair it but then I started to think that this is a good time to look at an upgrade to at least a dual core with a MB that is PCI-E of course. I don't have a preference of AMD or Intel but I'm leaning towards an Asus MB with at least a 7900 or caparable video card. Just need a few suggestions on the motherboard and cpu. I haven't been up to date on the latest happenings with hardware since I've been without a computer so bear with me a little.... All in all I don't want to spend alot for the pieces I need to get up and running again but let's say $500. I figure the parts that are highlighted will be used again. I highlighted the RAM even though I'd probably get some new stuff anyways but you never know with prices so the RAM is a maybe right now...

So, anyone who wants to offer some opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

GA-K8NS-939 motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
    2 Gig PC3200 Corsair RAM ???
    Western Digital 120 GB 7200 RPM
    Lite-On DVD/CDRW combo
    Lite-On DVD+/- Burner

2. WaHooCrazy7

WaHooCrazy7 Private E-2

Ok sounds like you have a genuine problem...geek without a computer makes one very unhappy geek. If i were to build a new computer today i would probably jump up to a next gen CPU socket to utilize the new DDR2 memory. The processor choice depends on what you want to do. AMD is more of a workhorse type processor but is still excellent for gaming (thats what i got in my desktop, only 1.8ghz, oced to 2.2ghz runs games like a champ). Or you could go with something like a Intel Core Duo or the Core2 Duo. These are a little more pricey, but are a little better for gaming. This is really a choice of personal preference. If you wanted to save some money i would recommend that you buy a MOBO that has integrated video which will get you thorough till you can get a video card, a halfway decent processor, and if you go DDR2 at least 1gb of ram, 2 would be better if it dosent break your budget.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds