Needing Outlook 2003 advice needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by DennisD, Nov 21, 2004.

1. DennisD

DennisD Private E-2

Hi. I just converted from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2003 (as part of the Office 2003 Pro package). Everything went smooth in the transition as far as transferring to Outlook. But I have one problem. When I use Outlook to dial my internet connection (dialup), Outlook will do a quick send/receive, and then drop the connection immediately. To do another send/receive, it has to redial. It seems odd that Outlook wants to work offline like that. I like to have Outlook & may browser on quite a bit, & that's very awkward.

Now, the workaround seems to be to turn the internet connection on via the shortcut on the desktop I have, then go to Outlook. That seems to work OK; Outlook doesn't sever the connection automatically as it does otherwise.

I should point out that I went under Outllok's Tools, Options, Mail Setup, Dial-up, I have a checkmark next to "Automatically during a backgraound Send/Receive" BUT I have no check mark next to "Hang up when finished with a manual Send/Receive".

I'm sure there is some obscure setting that may need a tweak. I use Outlook on my work computer (with a T1 connection), & have never had this problem. Could this be a quirk with using dialup & Outlook? Please advise. Any advice is appreciated, especially from Outlook-dialup users who may have experienced the same thing.

2. DennisD

DennisD Private E-2

No one answered, but I had a computer repair store tell me that to uncheck the setting "Automatically dial during a background send/recieve", that's shown under Tools, Options, Mail Setup.

3. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Did it work?

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds