Needing to reinstall old XP software

Discussion in 'Software' started by texasharper, Jun 13, 2014.

1. texasharper

texasharper Corporal

Hi,

I have an old Dell Dimension E510 running XP Media center edition and I need to reinstall the OS from disc. When I start the process it tells me the version I am running is newer than the version I want to install. Is that because the version I am running is Spk3 and the disc is Spk1? It also tells me to save the current version to another folder if I want to continue with the install. My question is how do I do this? Thank you for your help.

Texasharper

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey Texasharper

I think what you need to do is enter your BIOS and set the 1ts boot device as your CDROM then with the CD in the drive boot the PC and this should take you directly to the install options for your XP SP1 disk.

An in place update which I think you are trying will error like you are getting with version installed is newer message. Guessing you want a new clean install of XP and below should help but it will be XP SP1 as on your original CD, so then you have the process of updating to SP3

Some info HERE from DELL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds