Nero Backitup & Burn

Discussion in 'Software' started by beezneez, Sep 6, 2009.

1. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Hi, I am looking for a simple backup utility for my external HD, does anyone have experience with this product?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What type of things do you wish to backup, is it just specific files and folders (eg. My Docs, Pictures etc) or is it the whole hard drive as in a clone/image?

I have used that app in a trail, worth installing the trial to see if you like the app, I fould it ok, some good options, the Sync option is good to sync information between two folders, this is good as you can have say My Documents sync'd with say a My Documents Backup folder on a USB pen, Internal or External HDD.

Menus are fairly easy to navigate and options are pretty easy and logical in setting up various backup scenarios, can setup manual or automatic backups and use whatever schedule you want, can backup specific files/folders/drives, in hours, days, weeks etc

However you can achieve a good backup solution with many of the free applications available, Fbackup, SyncToy 2.0, Macrium Reflect Free etc, although they are not in one neat package.

My main and core backup application is Acronis True Image as I find it very easy and not let me down yet, just doesnt come with a sync option, but a SyncToy is free I can use that.

3. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Hi Halo

I have a few things I have to back up, mainly to do with my business. Other than that it is just the usual things, music, photos, favourite sites etc.

Now I have my new PC, which by the way is an i7, similar specs to yours,(love it!) I have spent hours transferring data from my old machine so a complete backup clone would be nice. I have thought of Acronis True Image,it seems to get good reviews. If, God forbid, my Pc blew up (it's happened in the past) I would like to just be able to take the backup external disc, pop it into my rebuilt machine, install Program discs and carry on.

Does Acronis offer this or am I expecting too much?

I am not averse to paying for a good program, in fact I have done so for a couple of free ones which really impressed me and if I get the Nero one it includes Nero Express which I can use to copy and burn discs as well. As this is the only part of Nero I want it is a cheap option. I suppose I could use both Acronis and Nero.

thanks for your time, helpful as usual.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI Beez

Acronis offers like Nero the ability to clone the whole "used" part of your HDD, and save it as a single file, that can be stored on your external HDD, this clone is basically a snapshot of your PC at the time of the backup, so using the recovery CD that you create for either of those applications you boot to that CD and then browse to your external HDD, locate the most current backup and restore your whole PC back to how you left it, which means you restore the OS, *all* your installed applications and settings.

Both of these applications also allow for just backing up say My Documents or various specific folders of your choosing. Both the full image and the backups of docs and folders allows you to also if by accident you delete a file and you know it was on your PC at time of backup to browse the Image file and just copy a single file, folders etc which saves at times having to recover the full backup.

I use Acronis and swear by it, great app and once setup with periodic FULL Image backups of whole HDDs its all automatic, you can do manual Image backups, if your about to install a new application or driver etc, if you are worried it may mess up your PC.

But Nero can do virtually the same as Acronis, plus has the bonus of Nero is Nero Express for various CD/DVD burning, I would have a play with the trials of both and see if you like it.

Acronis True Image trial and here is user guide so you can see what it does

Plus if you just want basic burning then Nero Free is an option

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds