nero cassette to cd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wmarkj, May 4, 2005.

1. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

I am using Nero (latest version) to copy cassettes to CD with Nero's plugin. Intermittantly, the mp3 I create (and thus burn to CD) will have a skip on it. What I am dubbing is spoken messages from a public speaker. I have tried seeing if a power surge in my home causes this (e.g does skip happen when Air Conditioner kicks on);I have also tried using the variable bitrate option to no avail. The next thing I was going to try was to see if booting up cpu fresh just before dubbing would make it more stable? Also am going to try ctrl/alt /delete and shutting down unneeded programs while dubbing. The recording will go along fine, but then there will be an annoying skip while the talking is recorded. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

What Operating system do you have? And how much memory is in the system?? Could be that you have a bunch of unknown JUNK running in the background!! If you don't have very much memory...All that junk eats up what memory you do have, and then when you are trying to do something (like burn a cd) It is constantly fighting the other junk for system resources, which in turn will cause the buffer in Nero to run dry, and then sometimes Nero will allow it to keep burning and it will leave a skip wherever it ran out of information to burn!!

You can go to "Start" and then "Run" and then type in "msconfig" (minus the quotation marks) then click on ok, and that will pull up the Msconfig program!! Now you want to click on the "Start-up" tab at the top and that will show you everything that is running constantly in the background!! Just because it doesn't show an icon in the system tray down by the clock...doesn't mean that it isn't running in the background!!! Ideally, you want to keep this start-up list as short as possible!! While leaving the necessities that need to be running all the time in order for it to do what it was designed for!! Like you Antivirus and firewall!!

Roger

3. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

thanks for the awesome info to try. I use Win 98; I am a novice at determining memory, but System Info provides this: Available space on drive C: 1057MB of 7993MB (FAT32)

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

When you start up the system...you should see on the POST (The black screen with all the white text) which detects all the system peripherals...it will show you at the beginning of the post, how huch memory you have!! You will probably have to round off the numbers...but it will probbably be in the range of...64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024!!

Chances are you will see it actully counting the numbers!! Just like if you were at the gas pump watching the numbers roll while pumping the gas!! Then it will stop when it reaches the amount that your system has. After you round it closest to one of the numbers I listed above...that is how much memory you have!!

Let me know what you come up with!! Let me know if you need a better idea of what i'm talking about!!!!

Roger

5. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

Thanks for your continued help! booted up a couple times but didn't spot what you refer to?

6. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

on another start up quickly saw a reference to 8.00 MB. Does this sound right?

7. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Download and install this...

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

It is a free program designed for showing you ALL the specs on your system!! Once you install and run this program...look through all the information and you should find where it tells you what kind of memory and how much you have!!

Let us know what you come up with!!

Roger

8. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

In the meantime...did you go into MSConfig like I stated earlier and remove all unneeded stuff in the startup list?? If you are unsure what to get rid of and what to keep...list everything here that is in your startup list and me or someone will tell you what you need and don't need!!

Roger

9. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

Below is paste of info from the program:
    Field Value
    Computer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
    OS Service Pack -
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name VCLIENT (Valued Client)
    User Name Valued Client

Motherboard
    CPU Type Intel Pentium III, 450 MHz (4.5 x 100)
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
    System Memory 192 MB (SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (02/03/99)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
    Video Adapter NVidia RIVA 128/128ZX
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA RIVA128ZX

Multimedia
    Audio Adapter Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880) Sound Card

Storage
    IDE Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
    Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
    Disk Drive IEEE-1284.4 Compatible WDM Mass Storage Device (HPH11)
    Disk Drive IEEE-1284.4 IOS Port Driver (HPH11)
    Disk Drive hpz
    Optical Drive 52X32CD_R/RW
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
    C: (FAT32) 7993 MB (1254 MB free)

Input
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network
    Network Adapter Novell 2000 Adapter. (66.177.146.96)
    Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
    Modem HSP MicroModem 56

Peripherals
    Printer HP DeskJet 600 (Color)
    Printer hp photosmart 7550 series
    Printer Symantec Fax Starter Edition
    USB1 Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PIIX4 - USB Host Controller
    USB Device photosmart 7550

10. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

Following are the items in Startup (the ones with asterisk are check marked):
    windows registry repair pro*
    reminder*
    norton systemworks*
    scan registry*
    task monitor*
    system tray*
    hpdj taskbar utility (Hewlett Packard?)*
    hphmon04 (Hewl pack?)*
    quicktime task
    hphupd04*
    critical update*
    LoadPowerProfile*
    TkBellExe*
    InCD*
    mdac_runonce*
    ccApp*
    Symantec Core LC*
    NPROTECT*
    Symnatec NetDriver Monitor*
    MediaFace Integration
    Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon
    ViewMgr
    TkBElExe
    LoadPowerProfile*
    Scheduling Agent*
    KB891711*
    ccEvtMgr*
    ccSetMgr*
    SymTray - Norton SystemWorks*
    NPFMonitor*
    ScriptBlocking*
    NPROTECT*
    Machine Debug Manager
    PowerReg Scheduler
    Microsoft Office

Also, in previous reply I included system info from the program you had me download. Thanks.

11. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

You have 192mb of memory!! You can uncheck everything but the following and it free up some more of your memory!!

windows registry repair pro*
    reminder*
    scan registry*
    task monitor*
    system tray*
    hpdj taskbar utility (Hewlett Packard?)*
    hphmon04 (Hewl pack?)*
    quicktime task
    hphupd04*
    critical update*
    LoadPowerProfile*
    TkBellExe*
    InCD*
    mdac_runonce*
    MediaFace Integration
    Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon
    ViewMgr
    TkBElExe
    LoadPowerProfile*
    Scheduling Agent*
    KB891711*
    NPFMonitor*
    ScriptBlocking*
    Machine Debug Manager
    PowerReg Scheduler
    Microsoft Office

12. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

I'm not understanding what you are saying I can uncheck?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds