Nero MediaHome Essentials and svchost.exe (RPCSS) hangs

Discussion in 'Software' started by LoLyfe, Oct 2, 2010.

1. LoLyfe

LoLyfe Private E-2

Looking for a bit of help here... Anyone familiar with Nero's MediaHome program??

I got NeroMediaHome Essentials bundled with my LG BD390 a number of months ago and it's been running like a dream. Then about a week ago, the network connection disappeared from the menu on my player. After a bit of investigating I found that the application wasn't running - even though it stated it was in Task Manager.

When trying to launch the program, I get no response at all, not even the 'egg timer'.

After launching W7's Resource Monitor, I can see that the MediaHome.exe and the MediaHomeServer.exe are there but when I clicked on the MH.exe to analyse the wait chain, I can see that it is waiting for svchost.exe (RPCSS) and likewise with that process, it's waiting for MH4.exe.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program and it hangs with or without the updates. I've managed an install, and a first attempt at indexing a folder, but as soon as the server attempts to start it hangs. I've tried not indexing and starting the server - same thing.

I have restored W7 to a previous restore point from two weeks ago when I knew it was working ok - same thing.

I have just completed two days worth of repairing the W7 install, and scouring the HD's with anti malware programs (following guidelines from here) and come up with nothing except a lot more disc space, which is nice - but hasn't cured the problem...

I have no idea what to try next.
    I've sent a message to Nero's tech support but have had no reply as yet, and to be honest, I'm not holding out much hope that they'll be able to help. I've trawled through their own forums and found nothing of the like in there.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Any help would be appreciated...
    Lo

[Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, P4 3.20GHz, 3.00GB RAM, Wireless N]

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Not familiar with the program, so I'm just trying to get a handle on this. Did the program install the Ask Toolbar?

3. LoLyfe

LoLyfe Private E-2

The program update did ask to install the toolbar, yes - but I unchecked it, under the custom installation all that I checked for install was Nero MediaHome 4 and its Help package. The original OEM version that came with the player did not have the option for the tooblar.

4. Caliban

You might check services.msc, see if MH4 created any service entries - if so, check if any dependencies are disabled.

5. LoLyfe

LoLyfe Private E-2

Thanks, had a look in services.msc, couldn't see any entries for MH4 though...

6. Caliban

Yeah, it was a shot in the dark.

I'll keep digging - maybe some of the gurus here will jump on board.

Hang in there.

7. LoLyfe

LoLyfe Private E-2

appreciated, thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds