Netbook vs Laptop and what to look for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computer illiterate, Aug 2, 2009.

1. computer illiterate

computer illiterate Private E-2

I need help figuring out what I need. I talked to a guy at bestbuy and he made a pretty convincing argument that the netbook was the better choice for me but, assuming thats true, I don't know what to look for in one.

I mostly use my desktop and would like to keep it that way. However I don't get much work done in my dorm room and I'd like to be able to go to the lounge or student union without having to borrow a laptop. I want something small and light but with a functional screen and keyboard. It has to be able to access the university's wireless and have microsoft office. I have a habit of opening a thousand things at once so its needs a good processor and lots of RAM (i think?).

What should my minimum be for the hard drive and memory? Are there any specific things that I should look for or avoid? What kind of accessories and such that they try to sell me are actually worth it?

Any personal experience or computer-person knowledge would be a huge help!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The main issue I have with netbooks is that they are too small, and they do not have built-in CD/DVD drives. So if you want to install any software or burn some music or a movie, you'll need to invest in an external USB optical drive. Also, for the netbook to be truly 'connected', you'll have to sign up for and pay for a wireless plan thru Verizon or ATT or Sprint or whoever, and my experience with mobile broadband is that it varies GREATLY in speed and reliability, from almost equal to a standard wired home cable/broadband connection, to slower than dial-up, to the connection just dropping off for no apparent reason (on the plus side, when it does drop off, it usually comes back in under 5 seconds). But it is usually on the slower side of 'in the middle' and can be frustrating. But if you need to get online everywhere, and you need extreme portability, and you don't need to install software or burn discs, then the netbook may be perfect for you.....

(in case you didn't get it, I don't like netbooks! LOL roflmao)

3. duckfeet

duckfeet Corporal

I got a Dell Mini 9 a couple of months ago, and the thing was so cute, I just was in love with it: green, with unbuntu(linux) preinstalled, and you could "design" it so I had 2gb of ram, but actually didn't get a bigger hard drive than the pre-installed 4gb SSD, which I liked(and stripped down to 3gb)...had bluetooth, wireless...couldn't ask for a nicer netbook.

But after a month of lugging it everywhere, and dealing w/the supersmall keyboard (and wierdass key locations), small screen, I got tired of it, and sold it (for a loss) on eBay. If I had to have a netbook, I'd probably just trot down to Frys and get one of their *red* Acer Aspire One's for 300 bucks w/XP installed, and the 160gb HD, and the 10" screen, and bearable keyboard...much cheaper than my Dell design...

If I got another "smaller" computer, I'd probably just pick up a 2-3 year old laptop on Craigs for roadtrips or whatever...I just don't need a netbook: I like the idea, and they are neat, and I like the fact that they are starting to put Ubuntu and other open source Operating Systems and stuff on there...but it wasn't as much fun as I thought, and mostly just sat here looking good...

I guess any computer serves a purpose: I still like my homebuilt desktop, best, and if I travel, I'll just get a cheapo...as always, depends on what you want...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds