NETGEAR DG834G router not broadcasting wirelessly but works with ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rob250881, Oct 13, 2009.

1. rob250881

rob250881 Private E-2

I've got a problem with my NETGEAR DG834G router in that it works via ethernet cables with the laptop, however whenever I try to connect to it wirelessly it doesn't show up in the available networks lists. (I've also tried to find it with my blackberry but have the same issue - several other local wireless networks are shown so I don't think it's an issue with laptop / phone).

I've downloaded the latest firmware, and have held in the button at the back of the router to re-set it. I've tried disabling any protection in the router admin pages (192.168.0.1) and this rarely works but has on a few occasions, but then stops after about 2 minutes, and then you wont be able to find the network wirelessly no matter what you do.

I've got windows vista on the laptop - don't know if this makes any difference?

2. jimbob101

jimbob101 Private E-2

Hi Mate,

Double check that you have the most upto date firmware installed and that it is correct for your router.

I know you said you have already done this, but double check what version the router is, from memory I recall my old one being V4 but foolishly I used the V5 software thinking it was the latest and it caused all kinds of weird sh*t. - So download the latest version of software for your version of the router if that makes sense?

Make sure as a test you have the wireless security set to open for the minute. Change the SSID to something memorable but avoid using "Test".

Download this program http://www.netstumbler.com/ it's free and it will give you more indepth information than your Vista or 3rd Party wireless controller e.g. Dell such as what channel it is broadcasting on, accurate signal strength etc, the amount of noise.

Update your drivers for your laptop and try again. If symptoms still persist post back with the following info

- Make and model of laptop, also is it an internal wireless card? I assume so, but if it is an external one tell us the make and model.

- what version of NETGEAR DG834G is it? Look on the bottom, should be V4, V5 or something like that.

- Is it that the actual basestation isn't discoverable? Check that the SSID is actually broadcasting e.g. Wireless Conection (Enabled) or ticked etc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds