"Netscape Portable Runtime has stopped working" error

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraR, Mar 31, 2013.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

What is this and do I need to fix it? It was a MS problem solving message that came up in my Action Center. I click on the link and it doesn't take me to any downloads.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is on an XP computer.
    I looked in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
    and I have nspr4.dll in there.
    Mine has a size of 168 - 172 kb. It is version 4.9.4.0 and was updated on March 8, 2013.
    I updated FF then so I guess that came along with v 19.0.2

I just checked my Win 7 computer and it matches the XP one as far as location, size and version.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hmm, so ensure that any Mozilla-based programs are fully updated, I guess.

Odd, I saw this error being asked about yesterday for the first time.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I just updated FF. I don't use it, but use Pale Moon, which was updated. I think my kids get on FF when they are on my computer, so that must have been the error. I'll see if updating FF gets rid of the error.

Thanks both of you for your responses.:)

5. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

I just installed Firefox v25.01 and got the same message from Windows Action Center. Following the suggested link takes the user to an ultra-geeky Netscape Developers Forum where they discuss not how to download, but rather how to BUILD the Netscape Portable Runtime using a whole suite of complicated sounding programming tools that I've never heard of. Definitely not the site that Window meant to send us to... unless they think being sadistic is funny.

Has anyone yet found a valid link for downloading this runtime?

6. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

7. rustysavage

Thanks for the link Solaris! I finally have the file. But, are you warning me not to install it? What happened when you installed it?

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ah, if you're using Pale Moon, check that your security software hasn't blocked/'sandboxed' the plugin container for Pale Moon - it commonly happens 'silently' for any non-mainstream software.

9. rustysavage

OK, I think I know what you mean. The downloadable archive doesn't contain a runtime, it contains source code for compiling a runtime. Do you know what language it's written in? I've only dabbled in programming and one of languages I tried was python. It looks kind of like python script. You're right, this is going to be frustrating.

Why, over a 5 year period, couldn't someone on the Netscape team find 5 minutes to compile the damned runtime and post that instead? What's the average internet user going to do with a fistful of source code?

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here. Perhaps the average computer user does have a suite of compilers on their system with which they regularly download and compile unidentifiable source code. If that's true then I have some serious catching up to do :(

10. rustysavage

OK, I just searched my system for all instances of the Netscape runtime and found six. The newest nspr4.dll was released on 09-16-13, size: 151 KB, v4.8.4.0, and I found it in my Apache OpenOffice folder system. I copied it to my %system root%\Windows\System32 directory and Windows Adviser dropped the message about needing to update the runtime. So if anyone gets desperate, they can download this free Microsoft Word alternative from:

http://sourceforge.net/

and then install all 200+ MBs in order to get the most current 151 KB Netscape Portable Runtime. At least Apache OO is a decent if not bloated suite of office apps.

11. rustysavage

If anyone needs the newest Netscape Portable Runtime but doesn't savor the idea of compiling it from source code or, alternatively, installing a 200 MB program just to get at the 150 KB runtime, leave me a note with your e-mail and I'll send it to you as an attachment.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds