Netscape won't save images to drive. (Finished thread)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wisewiz, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

A friend 3,000 miles away from me writes

(XP Home, Netscape 7.1)

Only thing I can think of is Empty the Cache and try again.

Anybody have an idea why images won't save while in NS but will save in IE?

(He thinks Spybot (he got it and runs it on my rec) might have done it. I think not.)

Ideas?

(Oh, I've tested my own installation of the same version of NS and it works just fine for images and saved pages.) :(

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Yes, agreed.
    Just a thought... but I don't know if this would apply to Netscape.

In Spybot > Immunize, he could UNcheck "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" -- just to take that out of the equation.

3. Wisewiz

Well, I hadn't thought of that one, and I should have, so thanks, alan, ...
    but it won't help in this case, because the bad actor is Netscape, not IE.

We don't have the ability anymore to delete our threads when nobody responds or when we've already found an answer before somebody DOES respond. If we could still delete our own threads when there are no replies, I'd have deleted this one earlier.

For the record, I hunted through the Mozilla "Bugzilla" files until I found a thorough examination of the problem and workarounds that go through several steps, as needed. There is no known permanent cure for this bug once it starts, but the fix works, and can be applied again when (if) the malady comes up again.

The deletion of a single file (compreg.dat) usually gets it. If not, several others hit the RecBin (history.dat, XUL.mfl, and the Cache folder), and if that doesn't do it, an uninstall with Add/Remove, a cleansing of the reg and deletion of all of the old program folders on the drive, and a reinstall will cure it.

Thanks to all of you who read my description of the problem, thought about it, and even maybe looked around for me but didn't find anything. It's a really obscure problem with an obscure fix, but my friend's browser is now saving pages and images perfectly again, and he didn't have to go through the uninstall-cleanup-reinstall dance.

4. Shiver Me Timbers

Shiver Me Timbers MajorGeek

I have a solution for your problem. I also installed 7.1 and had many problems with it. Go to a download site, look for 7.02 and install it. I also tried the Mozilla Firebird and that took me all but 10 minutes for me to decide to trash that one. Now the 7.02 keeps me smiling. :)

5. Wisewiz

Glad you're Glad, robo. Maybe it's good that we've lost the Delete Thread key.

Anyway, I'm sure we get spidered, and I wanted to make sure that the NEXT tech who tries to fight that problem has a better chance of being able to find the solution (and of knowing that it's a recognized bug, not just something screwy with an individual computer). When it takes me an hour or more to even find out that other people have had the problem, then the problem needs more publicity.

The Mozilla group of Net apps are all VERY touchy about finding scraps of previous installations on a drive, so the UNINSTALL-REINSTALL route is a bad, bad last resort, and novices won't often manage it well. (For starters, you have to help them make Explorer stop HIDING everything.) But any novice can be directed to ...\Netscape\Components\compreg.dat and told to delete the corrupted file. (Netscape re-creates it at next start.)

Happy ending. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds