Network adapter's strange behaviour.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gps08, Nov 22, 2010.

1. gps08

gps08 Private First Class

Hey guys.

I just moved in a room and the owners of the house have a O2 ISP using a THOMSON TG585 v8 router. I am using a USB dongle from TP-Link WN321G which uses a Ralink chipset (RT73). But it keeps crashing (like comfortably 20 times a day) and after crashes, it usually gets stuck on "Connected - Identifying Network (No internet access)". Probably means it cannot find or identify the IP. I also run the troubleshooter and some times it fixes the issue and my net comes back up, other times it says a problem was identified but windows could not solve it.

Now, I have tried everything from updating drivers (Either from TP-Link website or from ralink's website) and nothing works. I even alternate through USB ports hoping to find one that works. It could be faulty from the router or even from the ISP, but my other flatmates do not experience an unstable internet.

Any ideas?

My pc specs:

AMD Athlon II X3 (425 tri-core)
    NVIDIA Geforce 9200 Integrated
    3gb DDR2 ram
    320GB HDD
    Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks for reading.

GPS

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What sort of wifi hardware do your flatmates use? What version of windows are they running?

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

What sort of signal strength is the router showing? If 3 bars or less, try a USB extention cable (about $3) and raise the dongle. Increased signal strength may solve the issue.

If the problem persists (connecting then crashing), my experience has been this is usually a sign your wi-fi adapter is on its last legs. Check the model reviews on sites such as Newegg and Amazon and get a "N" model (even if the router is a "G" speed; "N" adapters tend to have a bit longer send/receive range).

With the Holiday bargains out there, you should be able to pick up a decent one in the $30-$40 range.

Hope this helps. :)

4. gps08

gps08 Private First Class

@ Plodr :
    My flatmates use laptops running either Vista or Seven.

@ gman863
    It gets like 1 or 2 bars normally. I have seen 3 bars though but its for a very short period. About the USB extension, it came with my USB Dongle and I am using it. Still nothing.. =(
    So your guess is that the router isn't sending off enough signal for my dongle to receive it? Well, I could suggest the home owners or the house manager to upgrade the router, but isn't there a higher range dongle I could purchase?
    And if I have to resort for a N router, which one would you advise?

Thanks for all the help until now guys.

GPS

5. xspankyx

xspankyx Private E-2

1. The router could be kickin' it. I had that problem in my house. Replaced it with a new Linksys N-Band and voila: no more wi-fi issues. I recommend Linksys routers btw

2. Like gman said, since your roommates aren't having the same issues, culprit could be your wi-fi adapter. I suggest experimenting and moving closer to the router. If you're still having problems, have someone who knows about wi-fi adapters look at it.

3. See what the router's settings are. It could be that the current settings are interfering with you getting proper connection.

6. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I am assuming that the wi-fi router is within about 40 feet (10 meters) of your PC (the same or less distance than others connecting to it) and the wall/floor construction between the router and your PC is about the same as other users (cement walls, metal wall studs or reebar are wi-fi hell).

Assuming this is the case, a 1-2 bar signal is another red flag your wi-fi dongle may be dying.

Not sure where you live. If you have a Fry's nearby or want to order at Frys.com, they have a Fry's brand USB "N" stick for $29.99. I've used about 10 of these for wi-fi setups over the past few months; they work great.

Otherwise, I'd check prices and reviews on Newegg or Amazon. Don't rely on brand name alone: A company like Linksys or D-Link can have both winners and losers. It all depends on the specific model.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds