Network App VERY slow unless I copy files at the same time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by springer1981, Oct 5, 2011.

1. springer1981

springer1981 Private E-2

Basic info: SBS 2008 (64bit), XP-sp3 (32bit) workstations, gigabit switch, SEP. App is Sage Masterbuilder.

Network config: Server is 1gb to switch over CAT6. All the workstations are 100mb over CAT5. SEP is set to exclude all pertinent files on both the server and workstations.

Problem: The program is called MasterBuilder and does job costing and much more. In the job costing feature there is an option to "Compute" job costing. In version 16.x, when the "Compute" was performed the task was done very quickly. After an upgrade to version 17.x it is very SLOW. According to tech support, our network is at fault since it is a database function over the network.

Troubleshooting done: Tech support blamed our network speed (100mb) and switch. We had a Netgear 100mb switch so we replaced it with a GB switch however the cabling will not support GB. Being a managed switch I set all the ports to 100mb except the server port. Even tried the server plugged into a 100mb port and no change. I am confident there are no speed issues on our network. All other programs perform flawlessly. ACAD, Exchange, data transfers and many other high data use programs work perfectly. I updated the network card drivers in the server as well. There are no performance or resource issues on the workstations. I monitored the network traffic at the workstations, server and switch with no issues and about 2.5% utilization during the slow "Compute" process. The switch shows no errors at all, no collisions, no dropped packets, nothing. I also disabled the SEP.

Interesting observation: During testing and while the slow "Compute" was going on, I copied a large folder (400mb) from the server to the workstations see the impact on network utilization. As soon as I start the copy process the "Compute" process speeds up to normal and zips by as it should. As soon as I cancel the copy process the "Compute" drops right back to very slow.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi springer1981 and welcome to MGs.

I use Estimating Extended from Sage at work off an SBS 2003 server for the database. Do you map the server drive/folder for MasterBuilder to access the database?
    If so (and this is a left field suggestion), can you delete the current mapping on the workstation, reboot and remap the drive/folder to see if that helps.

3. springer1981

springer1981 Private E-2

As unlikely as that is to resolve it I will at least give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else?

4. BLeafG

BLeafG Private E-2

We are also having the same issues with MB 17. I was also told our network speed was the issue until I told them that we are contected at a GB (switch and line), they then said it was the server but it was replaced last year per their spec so they said that coundt be the problem, so the last item they said it could be was that we have too many (40,000) clients in the data base and too many users.
    how many users/clients do you have?

5. springer1981

springer1981 Private E-2

Can you send me your contact info in a PM? I would like to contact you about the issue and have you try a test to see if it is the exact same issue. Also It would give us both added weight with there tech support if we can name other clients of theirs with the same issue. Thanks for replying.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds