Network assigning same IP to 2 computers.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisR, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Private E-2

Well first let me get started by saying that I use a wireless router (linksys, WRT54G) that is connected to a comcast modem/cable box. Well the modem hooks up to the wireless router then the main computer receives internet through a Ethernet cable that is run from the linksys router to my main computer. Well whenever I turn on my laptop I temporary get disconnected from the internet on my main computer for about 3 seconds, it shows the internet still connected but I get disconnected from my internet services such as online games/vent. I'm not sure how to disable this from happening, Its very annoying getting disconnected like this. Anyone know what to do?

2. K1ngSteve

K1ngSteve Guest

Most common cause of this that i have seen is a static ip without a reservation on the dhcp scope. 2 easy fixes. either make sure your nic is set to obtain dhcp, or you can go into your dhcp scope and reserve whichever ip is giving you the problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds