"Network cable unplugged" message but plugged in. Internet fine on other computers.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chrissyade, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Chrissyade

Chrissyade Private E-2

Okay I could really use some help with this issue. Ever since I first got my computer I have had problems with connecting to the interenet.

The first time I hooked up my computer to the LAN i already had, a message kept saying "Network Cable Unplugged", but it was NOT unplugged. I called customer service for EMachines (that's what my computer is) and they walked me through a few things but nothing worked. So I brought my computer to CompUSA and told them what it was doing and they checked it over and said nothing was wrong with it, but that they did something to the network bridge. When I got it home and tried connecting to the internet again, it worked.

Then I lost my internet connection and I haven't had this computer hooked up to internet for a couple of years. I brought it to my friend's house to get some updates for my software and drivers and it worked as soon as I plugged it in. Internet and all. However, when I rebooted my system to ensure that all the new updates would take effect it suddenly wouldn't let me access the internet. It was doing the same thing as before!

It says that my Lock Area Connection 2 is enabled and plugged in but it says that my Network Bridge is unplugged. I'm not on a network. The three computers in the room are all connected to the internet through a router, but they aren't networked together. I just switched one of the LAN cables from one computer to another one, so I don't understand what's going on. No one can seem to tell me what the hell is wrong with my system. I am in desperate need of assistance!!!

I am not incredibly great with computers. I know a little but not much.

EMACHINES
    Windows XP
    2200+ AMD Athlon CPU
    256 mb RAM
    80 GB hard drive
    10/100 Mbps Ethernet
    Linksys Broadband Router

If you need any other information please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank You!

-Chrissyade

2. bujel

bujel Private E-2

your problem just like mine, but different hardware. i'm using modem, there's a virus made my modems always in use, so i can't use it. you better check it out. sorry my english is bad.

3. papercutpete

papercutpete Private E-2

Re: "Network cable unplugged" message but plugged in. Internet fine on other computer

Hi There

Quick points :)

Are there any lights on the card when the cable is connected? , have a look on the router too there should be lights if theres a connection.

Had to edit this post I have the attention span of a goldfish

PcP

4. Chrissyade

Chrissyade Private E-2

Re: "Network cable unplugged" message but plugged in. Internet fine on other computer

Yes there are lights. I already went through BIOS to check and see if it's enabled and it is. I also took another network card out of another system that I had lying around and put it in. I went through BIOS and disabled the internal card so that the other one would be detected and it showed up in my hardware but the internet STILL doesn't work. The router isn't the problem becaue the internet works without a hitch on my other computers. I am at a total loss. Looks like I might be throwing my EMachine out the window.

5. Hardmarkerin

Hardmarkerin Private First Class

Try a Simple Power Cycle ( as it is called so in Tech Terms )

i,e Switch of the Computer/S , Router, Modem of your ISP

Wait for 4 to 5 mins

Switch on the Modem -- Wait untill all the lights come up and then again wait for 2 mins

Switch on the Router -- Wait for 3 mins

Switch on all other computers that are working, then check conectivity

Switch on this computer that has a problem, then Try browsing, This resolves most issues ( Basically it is the static in the unused ports that gets discharged )

It that does not happen, delete all existing Lan Connection, Uninstall your network Driver, Reinstall the Drivers, then reconfigure you net connection then try

It still that does not work out and you still get the " Network Cable Unplugged " Msg

Then Unplug the Cable

Then go to Start > Run > type regedit

Navigate to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID

Then Delete the key below

{7007ACCF-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}

Then Restart the comp and reconnect the cable and then try

6. pari22

pari22 Corporal

This could be caused by afew things.
    First, I would check the obvious things. Switch the cables and ports that you're plugged into. See if that works.
    Second, see if your network settings are correct - like tcp/ip settings.
    Third, like it was mentioned before by someone else, this could be a result of virus. I personally had the same problem with one of my clients workstation. It had all the HW/SW settings correctly, and everything was functioning properly, but it was infected with this old virus. I can not remember the virus name but Norton catches it when you run scan. Basically, it overflows net traffic and sometimes disables it by over pinging ramdom ip over and over.
    If your PC is infected by this virus, your pc will have connection to the internet for afew seconds (if any) then fails.
    Try running your anti-virus scan.

7. cj16

cj16 Private E-2

I am having this same problem. My desktop computer worked just fine before I got a new computer desk and had to disconnect it all to move it. Now that it's all back together, it thinks I have a network cable unplugged, but I've checked and everything is plugged in where it needs to be. I've already tried all the steps listed earlier in this thread. It's clean of viruses, and I've deleted the reg key and restarted my computer, and still no luck.

I'm getting frustrated. The other computer connected the same way my desktop is gets internet just fine, and the wireless connection to the laptops is fine, too.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? At this point, I'm considering restoring my computer to factory settings and seeing if that helps ><

--CJ

8. pari22

pari22 Corporal

wow, this is an old thread... Anyway, it's probably bad cable or hardware problem. When you moved it, you might have pulled it little too hard:confused.
    See if you can connect your laptop to same cat5 cable and see if you have any activity. If that works, then move on to changing you NIC on your PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds