Network Connection keeps disconnecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alexbd88, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Alexbd88

Alexbd88 Private E-2

Hey, My name is Alex and i just bought a Sony Vaio Computer 720G. I bought a linksys router and a PCI adapter. I use comcast high speed cable and i hooked both the router and adapter up with no problem. The problem that im having is that i keep losing connection from the internet. About every hour the connection is lost. What should i do?! Thanks

2. jed

jed Private E-2

I have the same problem. Today I hooked up with a BLITZZ super g router and adapter card. I will be on the internet for only 5 - 10 minutes at a time, then drop ... and a minute later back on line. It's maddening! Can anyone help this igmo? Merry Christmas! (really)

3. jpatz18

jpatz18 Private E-2

i had the same problem went to linksys i never disconnect. ALSO motorola good for not disconnecting

4. jed

jed Private E-2

Thanks for the input ... I wonder if my modem is just a bad one. This morning, though, when I started up the computer (I leave it on standby), I did not have to reboot the modem. Is there such a thing as the computer 'learning' the connection over a few days? Anyhow... maybe things are improving on their own somewhat.

5. Alexbd88

Alexbd88 Private E-2

Hey i have linksys and it disconnects a lot. What should i do to stop it from disconnecting

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

is this a wireless router?

7. RickM

RickM Private First Class

One thing you need to know. Is your router losing connection to you ISP or are you losing your association from your PC to the router?

8. Redfox475

Redfox475 Private E-2

My family has a cable modem hooked up to a linksys router on the main computer. I use a linksys adapter and I can't seem to get a great signal even though it says "Excellent" under signal strength. What is wrong?

9. Alexbd88

Alexbd88 Private E-2

yeh its a wirless router with a wirless PCI card

10. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Possible your getting interferance from other wireless stuff, cordless,wireless phones,keyboard,mouse?

11. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

Call your cable company. My cable company is always very courteous and ready to help. They can run through a few things with you over the phone. They can usually tell if the problem is coming from their end. Good Luck.

12. RickM

You may haver missunderstood my question. Is your router losing its connection from your ISP and you are still have a good signal to the router via wireless, or is your connection to your ISP from the router ok, but your wireless signal is dropping.

13. jed

jed Private E-2

Rick, in my case... it is the connection from the router to the computer that is dropping ... about every day I have to go unplug the router, wait a few seconds, plug it back in and the connection is restored. Then it's pretty much good for the day...sometimes two days.

14. NOVASTAR

NOVASTAR Private E-2

Upgrade the firmware on your router. I have a Linksys wireless router and was having the issues with it dropping my connection. I upgraded the firmware and it works fine now.

15. Alexbd88

Alexbd88 Private E-2

Thanks everbody for there help. What is firmware and how do i update it ?

16. RickM

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds