Network connection setup question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GrenPara, Jan 5, 2015.

1. GrenPara

GrenPara Private E-2

Hello Guys and Gals,

I have a question about network connections and setups.

I my house I have a router and it has 3 current connections/computer connected. Now in one room where one computer is connected I need to connect another device but do not want to run a new line.

So my question is how do i connect a second device to use the same lan cable as one currently in use? Should I simply add a hub to the line in the room, or will that not work? Or do those cheap lan splitters i see online work? I don't want a wireless connection as my router does not have one as it is quite old.

Both devices will need internet at same time for the most part, thou one will have very little use of it. So i am unsure of best way to proceed and have only ever used one line per device and never needed a second device on one line.

You help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Gren

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Does your modem have more than one ethernet connection (mine has four)? You'd simply connect the second computer to one of the other ethernet ports with a CAT 5E or higher ethernet cable directly. I wouldn't use a splitter because accessing the internet simultaneously on both computers would slow things down.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

A splitter will not slow things down any more than adding another device to the network, but best bet is a switch. Switches have come down in price so don't bother with a hub.

4. GrenPara

GrenPara Private E-2

Hey guys,

Well first let me says thanks for the quick replies to my post.

I cant run a new line which is why I asked about splitters or hubs.

So I guess my best result with my limitations would be using a network switch in the room with the one current device. So that would work with what I described correct?

I wish house was not so sealed or i would run a new line. And since I don't use wireless I am stuck with adding a hub or switch in the one room. But as Foogoo said I should ignore hubs and get a switch. I just wanted to be sure before I buy one as I never had to do what I asked before.

Thanks in advance
    Gren

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

If that line you want to share is plugged into the router, then yes unplug it from the device, plug it into the 'uplink' port if the switch has one, if not pick a port, then run new lines fromthe switch ports to the original device and your new device.

*if the DHCP is setup to hand out enough IPs. I believe most routes are setup for '250' devices now days. I say that because back in the day my DSL mdoem would only give 4 IPs.

6. GrenPara

GrenPara Private E-2

Hey Foogoo,

Thanks for the extra information and help.

I ordered a switch and it is on its way, plus 2 lan cables.

I would have had it by now but the postal service is going down the toilet.
    They can't seem to do anything right since we went to community mailbox's.

Anyways I will post just to let you guys know once I have done what you suggested.

Thanks again and talk soon.
    Gren

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds