Network down again -- can it be something in Windows XP conflicting?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SueBee, Aug 18, 2005.

1. SueBee

SueBee Private E-2

Should I use "peer to peer" (it's an option to install) in Windows XP with a router? Is there something in Windows XP that has its own DHCP server that's conflicting with the router that I need to turn off?

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

No. If a router is involved, its not P2P. And yes, if its set to P2P then it will try to genereate its own DHCP packets, so turn it off.

You should set the XP PC to recieve the IP from the router (I assume it has a DHCP server running on it...)

3. SueBee

SueBee Private E-2

Well, it seems that something was wrong with the router, so Linksys sent a new one. Still had issues so, Verizon sent a new modem. Still had issues so, an associate replaced the Linksys router with a D-link router -- apparently in this city the Linksys router has issues with the Verizon DSL (I live in a neighboring city and have never had any issues with a Linksys router). The associate that reviewed things over the weekend said that I had everything set up and installed correctly, and thinks it was the router and maybe Verizon doing maintenance is messing up the router... For now all is well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds