Network File Sharing between Vista and XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tard, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Tard

Tard Private First Class

I figured this should be in Software because I blame the software for this problem, not the network itself since I have no problems with it.

I've tried googleing and searching these forums and surprisingly didn't find much info on this.

The intent: To share files and folders from an external HD hooked up to my XP PRO laptop (E-SATA/USB) across a wireless 802.11G network with Vista and XP PCs on it.

The problem: I have the External HD hooked up to my laptop with XP Pro via E-SATA (and tried USB) and can seamlessly share all my content with other XP users on my wireless network. But when any Vista users attempt to access my share, they see all of my shared folders, but when they try to open one up, Vista hangs for a minute, then give a file permissions error.

Attempted solutions:

- Disabling all Firewalls and Anti-Virus (which shouldn't affect it).
    - Making port and IP exceptions in the Fire-walls.
    - Changing the network authentication method of Vista to NTLMv1 through the registry because Vista is gay enough to NOT have a "local security policy" in the Administrative Tools (at least on Home and Premium versions).
    - Setting "share" and "security" permissions to allow "Everyone" full control on the shared folders (simple file sharing turned off)
    - Making sure file and media sharing are turned on on Vista PCs.
    - Putting all PCs in the same workgroup
    - Sending hate mail to M$

If anyone has done this successfully, I would greatly appreciate any help so that I can share all my stuff out to my buddies here in Iraq (I'm currently deployed - US Army).

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Its likey you need to install LLTD Network Responder http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en on the XP machines for the Vista users to be able to connect properly, they will see the other PCs in the network in their network map but the connection line will be a broken dashed drawing over a constant line.

Sending hate mail to MS will ge you ignored by them, so gets you nowhere apart from make you feel fuzzy inside :)

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The equivalent of XP Pro is Vista Business, so...you can't blame a lesser flavor of not having Pro features.

On Pro--is simple file sharing on, or off?

4. Tard

Tard Private First Class

Oh, and the send hate mail to M$ was just a joke, heh.

I just learned about the LLTD patch right after I posted, but I haven't got a change to try it out yet. I hope that does it. I'm thinking about trying to use NetBEUI if all else fails.

Thanks guys.

5. Tard

Tard Private First Class

Yeah, the patch didn't have any affect on it. Vista still just hangs while accessing my shares and gives the same permissions error.

Are there any patches or updates for Vista too?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Read my reply again, please.

7. Tard

Tard Private First Class

I answered your reply in my original post and in my reply (in my quote of the OP) - Simple File Sharing is turned off.

I've also tried making identical accounts on both computers and giving them sharing and NTFS permissions. Even though I shouldn't have to do that when I give full control to "Everyone." I even went to the local security policy and made sure "Everyone applies to anonymous users."

8. Tard

Tard Private First Class

Bumpity bump bump

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds