Network Hard drive access

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by susieq29, Apr 11, 2012.

1. susieq29

susieq29 Private First Class

I have been using a Maxtor network hard drive for about 4 years. All of a sudden when I try backing up to it I am getting a message Destination folder denied.
    You need permission to perform this action. I have not done anything to my computer. I did loose access to my network recently and had to put in my key code again.

Can anyone please tell me how to fix this problem. I can open the files but cannot add anything.:confused

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Ashamedly I've never owned a network hard drive but it does sound like the permissions of the drive have been altered,I can offer help in changing the permissions via windows but not with any software that comes with it if that's how its accessed.

To change the permissions via my computer right click the drive,properties,security,EDIT button,click your user name and tick all the 'allow'.

Go back to the drive properties and click 'sharing' click 'advanced sharing' share this folder,permissions,click your user name and make sure all the 'allows' are ticked.

If the drive uses proprietary software for access or setup you may want to reinstall it or look for an update at the manufacturers website.

Post your operating system and stick around for replies from people who have had experience with them.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That may be the clue. Did you set up this network drive again. Perhaps it lost connectivity too, and it's original IP was reassigned.

What's there to be ashamed of? Lots of people don't have, don't use and don't need a network hard drive.

4. Xenith

Xenith Private E-2

Right I was going to ask you three questions:

Which operating system are you using right now?

How is your network setup?
    (Modem -> Router -> PC
    ............................-> PC etc..)

What model is your Maxtor nHDD?

5. susieq29

susieq29 Private First Class

I discovered that the problem was not only on my computer but on my Husbands .We are on the same network. So I restarted the Maxtor and rebooted my computer and it started working.:-D

Thanks for all the input.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds