Network icon with red X; after attempt at malware removal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChemMD, Apr 28, 2013.

1. ChemMD

ChemMD Private E-2

Please help with my continuing networking problem. Before malware removal, I had these problems: Microsoft Outlook shuts down after opening the program, task bar error message on Windows Update, task bar error message on Windows Firewall, and the usual wifi icon on the task bar was replaced by a Network icon with a red X. On clicking the Network icon, an error message appears that the group or dependency could not be started.

After malware removal with the help of Malware Removal section in this forum, only the Network icon error remains. Clicking the Network icon, now shows a diagram of the basic network information with a red X on the line connecting This Computer and Internet but the other icons on active networks to choose from are no longer there. Using the cable on the wifi router does NOT correct the problem.

During the malware removal process, I was asked to re-install the network interface card. When I checked Device Manager to reinstall the drivers for network card, I saw an error icon that looks like a yellow triangle with an ! mark in the middle for several items: one item marked Unknown Device in Other Devices, and eleven (11) items in Network Adapters. The eleven items are: Reatek PCIe FE Family Controller, Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n COMBO PCI-E NIC, Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface, WAN Miniport (IKEv2), WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport (IPv6), WAN Miniport (L2TP), WAN Miniport (Network Monitor), WAN Miniport (PPPOE), WAN Miniport (PPTP), and WAN Miniport (SSTP).

The Device Status on NIC reads: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers requested for this device. (Code 31)". The same error message is seen in the other icons mentioned above.

On my system, I have a Lenovo S100 and use a wifi router that comes bundled with my cable subscription. I am able to connect to the internet by wifi connection using another computer.

What do I do now?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. ChemMD

ChemMD Private E-2

Just an update on the solution to my problem. Before this, I have NOT been able to use System Restore to correct it due to an error message. I ended up uninstalling all security software installed on my computer (antivirus program, website advisor, and anti-malware program), then doing System Restore in safe mode. That worked! Wifi connection is back. Now I am going through the final steps after malware removal.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds