Network in Redhat Linux using VMWare Player

Discussion in 'Software' started by bonniehandi, Nov 5, 2005.

1. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

This is probably a really stupid question. But... how do you connect to the internet in this situation?

I run Windows XP
    Inside Windows XP, I installed VMWare Player
    I run VMWare Player, and inside that program, I run Red Hat Linux.
    The Red Hat Linux is pre-installed (I downloaded the VM image off the redhat website)
    I login into Red Hat Linux and I ran Firefox inside Red Hat.
    It seems like I can't connect to the internet from there.
    So... What should I do now...

Thank you very much.

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

vmware installs NIC drivers into the real OS. In your case XP. It should appear as a second NIC in the real system. That NIC would have to have internet access for anything inside of vmware to have internet access.

So chances are that NIC isn't working. SO check it over and make sure it is. Some ISP will limit only certain MAC addresses to have internet access. SO if this is the case for you, you may have to register the fake NIC's MAC with your ISP. Or if you use a router you just have to make sure it's getting a correct LAN IP from the router.

If that NIC is fine, then just follow normal redhat network setup instructions.

3. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

I checked on my network connections and I see two connections named:
    VMware Network Adapter VMnet1
    and
    VMware Network Adapter VMnet8

When I open it and check, it says that it is functioning properly. So, I THINK it is working properly. How do I check if it is getting the correct LAN address (I use a router)

Thanks

4. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

I also saw that on my LAN connection, there is an option called "VMware Bridge Protocol" . When I hit "Properties", it says "VMnet Number:" then there is this blank space that I can fill (it is currently empty). Should I do anything to it?

5. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

It's been a little while since i used VMware so I'm sorry but I can't come up with exact steps. I suppose sicne you have a router one of the easiest ways to make sure the vmware NIC is working is to simply login to the router and look at who is connected to it. View the "DHCP Client Log". Depending on the router it will be in diffrent places, but it's usually under some sort of status menu. A standard entry on this thing would be something like this

ip=192.168.2.101 mac=QR-13-D4-FF-19-E2 name=CompName
    ip=192.168.2.102 mac=00-13-FF-83-77-7E name=CompName2

Now if the second NIC is working there is going to be one entry for each NIC that the router is assigning an IP to. Which means you'll likely see two entries with the same name.

Edit: OK, upon thinking about it some more, it would be easier to just open a command line and type ipconfig. It should show all active connections and there IP's. You should be pulling down two diffrent IP's from your router. If you are, that means vmware is setup fine and you just need to configure RH.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds