network mapping failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1up4kel, Jan 21, 2005.

1. 1up4kel

1up4kel Private E-2

I currently support a pretty stable network. Atleaset 5 server and so on...
    my issue lies on the file server. Every 2-3 days the network mapping fails. I'm able to ping the file server just fine to verify NIC connectivity and all is good. I don't know what else to try to resolve this issue. Can someone help me :confused:

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You need to provide some details.

Network mapping fails in what sense. The computers just arn't mapping it for some reason or you can't access the file server at all even if done manually?

Is pinging the only thing working with that computer. Can you actually use the file server itself and does it function?

What have you already tried to fix this?

3. 1up4kel

1up4kel Private E-2

Well i found out the reason the map drive are failing. DNS issue, it seem that there is another PC somewhere with the same name or the file server is not register with the DNS server. Since i'm able to ping the server and not the server name.

Thanks for your help fellas
    :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds