network newbie in need of help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thenewmadmax, Oct 29, 2004.

1. thenewmadmax

thenewmadmax Private E-2

hey guys, i have finnally convinced my mom to let me set up a home network, the thing is im not realy sure how. the setup im thinking about gettingis have a linksys wireless G router , 1 pci ethernet adapter and a wireless usb adapter. the setup ill have when i get it is bridge my USB modem through my good computer (xp) then ethernet it to the router to moms and other computers( both win 98, second edition i think) . i know how to do all the wiring but i dont know how to program it. i know there are tons of guides out there but i cant seem to find any. so i was wondering if someone could help me or send me the link to a guide that could i would like it alot, thanks.
    ive sent for a ethernet modem so my comp wont have to process everything, what changes would i have to do to get it running smoothly again aftterwords, once agin thaks for reading, max. oh and by the way my friend said trieing to set up wireless on a win98 is really hard and the connection is slow its a 500mhz w/ 65 mb ram, any thoughts if i should change anything in my plans?

2. 44039

44039 Private First Class

You are on the right track!

The bridge part is a bit dodgy, in my opinion, though you can make it work. You will have to configure your XP machine to act as a router (now you got two routers!?!) Best thing to do is to get the modem that is capable of ethernet. Modem connects directly to the router. Router connects to all PC's. Router handles IP address assignments via DHCP.
    Most routers will have a "wizard" type interface so that you can configure it quite easily. I would recommend changing the admin password, the DHCP pool, and the address of the router. Reason being, if I'm a hacker, and I'm sniffing for wireless ap's and I come across yours, and you have a Linksys, which has default settings, then I already know your IP addy of your router, the pool to which your pc's are assigned (I know the ip addy's of your computers), and I know the username of the router. All I have to do is guess your password. If you didn't change that, then I'm totally in your network now, with no effort! Out of the box configs are dangerous. Change them.
    Wireless network is independant of the operating system (Win98). It's actually your router doing all the work. Doesn't matter what's on the PC. Your friend is misleading you there.

As far as setup, once you get your router, it's easier than you think!

Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

3. thenewmadmax

thenewmadmax Private E-2

thanx scott, i will be getting a ethernet modem its just i havent got it yet and i want this lan running asap! oh and when i plug in my computer do i plug into a normal slot or the wan, thanx again, max

4. 44039

44039 Private First Class

All computers go into the "normal" slots. Your modem plugs into the WAN slot.

Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

5. thenewmadmax

thenewmadmax Private E-2

ahh right, see im not very good about all this networking stuff.

6. thenewmadmax

thenewmadmax Private E-2

hey guys anyone know how to set of a netowrk? you know all the ipconfiq stuff and whatnot, im still kinda lost

7. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If you are using a USB Modem.

The Modem Should directly to you main computer's USB port.

All the computers should be plugged into the Switch of the Router.

The WAN port of the Router should be left open.

The Router should be used as a Switch with an Access Point. I.e. DHCP off.

First ignore the Internet and make sure that you have a functional Network around the Switch.

Then switch off Windows ICS and configure the Internet sharing.

Link to: Windows Network - Installing & Sharing.

Link to: Wireless - Basic Configuration.

Link to: Wireless Security.

Link to: Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

Link to: Using a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point]

P.S. Such a configuration will not be stable for long time. You are much better off getting an external Ethernet Modem and configure every thing around the Router’s WAN Connection.

Like this: Diagram of Broadband Connection with Cable/DSL Router.

:cool:

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Whats the point of that when you can just use the WAN port on the router for exactly the same effect?
    Just plug the WAN cable (phone cable/coax cable) into the WAN port, plug the wired computers in the RJ-45 sockets, setup the router and you're done!

An ethernet modem is just a Router whithout the switching and it has only one port. Again, what is the point if you have a perfectly good router with a perfectly good WAN modem in it already?

Then you just need to configure the wireless port on the router with security in mind.

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

It's simple, see? You can throw that USB modem away right now (provided you have a router that works with your broadband connection...and if thats not the case, take it back!)

Attached Files:

10. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ahh, my bad.

I didn't look up the model. Unless your usb modem has an ethernet port on it, you're gunna need an Ethernet modem. You just need to plug that into the WAN port.

*doh* :eek:

11. thenewmadmax

thenewmadmax Private E-2

it only has a usb plug, no ethernet, thats why im getting a ethernet modem, but right now i dont

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds