Network printer won't print with A Network Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gameman007, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Gameman007

Gameman007 Private E-2

Hi All,

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate and got the home network configured. I can see all the computers in the house on my computer. The other 2 computers both have XP. While one of the computers can access the printer (HP Offficejet Pro L7780)the other one can't. The printer as well as the other computers in the house shows up in the other computer and is set for share as it is on my computer (the one the printer is connected to) yet I can't get anything to print from that computer. The firewall was turned off on both computers. :(Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bill

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

Windows XP home or pro. When it comes to networking, there is a world of difference.

When I looked up the printer, I saw that it has ethernet capabilities along with wifi. It would be easier (and more reliable) to set it up as a network printer instead of a shared printer.

Shared printer: the printer is hooked up through USB to a computer. It is then shared through that computer to other computers on a network.
    Network printer: the printer is connected directly to a switch or router and handles its own networking. The computers access the printer directly through the network and not through another computer.

3. Gameman007

Gameman007 Private E-2

XP Home.

4. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

XP home is a nightmare when it comes to sharing printers (in my opinion). Have you considered my earlier post about setting the printer up as a network printer instead of shared?

5. Gameman007

Gameman007 Private E-2

Thanks Senlis, will try it tonight. Although I discovered a new problem with the XP computer in that now I can't see the other network computers with it. HELP!!!! Thanks in advance.

Bill

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Are they all in the same workgroup?

7. Gameman007

Gameman007 Private E-2

Yes they are.

8. TimW

And each computer has the same user account that has been logged into at least once?

9. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

do you use their windows names in a run prompt.

I think the command is \\[computer's name]

10. Gameman007

Gameman007 Private E-2

I think you lost me here Senlis. In the past when my computer was XP I simply ran the network wizzard with each computer inputting the network name and I'd see the other ntw computers in each one. They also all printed with the shared printer. Now just mine (connected to printer) another one (can see just mine and itself as well as print) in the other it can't do either.

11. TimW

I haven't gone thru the entire thread....but you have tried to add a printer....and then done a search for a networked printer? Can you map the drive to the computer that is physically connected to the comupter?

12. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi Gameman007,

I read an article a few days back which mentioned that Windows 7 has a new networking component called Homegroup. Homegroup is in addition to Windows existing net components Workgroup and Domain.

It also said that if all computers on the network are Windows 7 then Homegroup should be setup on each computer but if any computer on the network is not Windows 7 (ie: Vista/XP etc...) then all Windows 7 pc's should be setup to join the Workgroup and the Homegroup feature should not be used.

On Windows 7, try going back to the Homegroup Settings and select the option to Leave the Homegroup. Next, locate the option to add 7 to the existing Workgroup (where the 2 xp machines are).

Reboot all machines.

Techsent

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds