Network prob is hardware issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mannshands, Nov 8, 2010.

1. mannshands

mannshands Private First Class

Hi,
    I my laptop network connection keeps freezing up. It will send but will not receive packets. I have been all thru the XP Clean-up and chipset/driver replacements. I was referred to the Hardware forums after much dedicated assistance from the forum helpers.
    I have an ethernet ISP connection. This feeds direct into my laptop. The network ethernet controller is a SiS191. After about 20 minutes I notice a warm spot on the upper right of the keyboard, a few minutes later the ISP connection freezes. If I disable/reable it will reconnect for a moment, then stop again. If I continue working off line I have had several BSOD's. Minidump blames TFSysMon and/or SiS Mirage 3 Video card driver. I have replaced these drivers several times with no improvement.
    After the software forum ran out of ideas it was blamed on bad hardware. I bought an ethernet to USB external network card, SR9600 USB to Fast Ethernet Adapter. The first time I installed/used this is worked fine for 8 hrs. The next time I booted I encountered the same problem as before! On a different network card/driver! What can be doing this?
    Using another PC on the connection right now, so the connection is OK.
    Please help, I have run out of ideas. Thanks!

Advent 5302, Intel Duo CoreT5550(1.83GHz), SiS M672MX Chipset, 2 Gb RAM, 250GbHDD.

Cheers
    mannshands

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

If this is a hardware issue, then it's likely not the NIC (ethernet card), since you've already tried a separate NIC. My simple Google search of "Advent 5302" shows that your laptop has a wireless card built into it... have you tried using that? A wireless router is around US$50 or less, and would be easier than connecting a cord, anyway. I personally use Linksys (a division of Cisco, a big name in networking) routers.

If it is indeed a hardware fault, it will likely involve replacing the motherboard. Not only are laptop motherboards VERY expensive, but they are very difficult to replace, especially if you don't have experience disassembling/reassembling laptops. So, if your laptop isn't under warranty anymore (which is my guess), if I were you I'd try using the wireless capability. If that doesn't work, you can always return the wireless router to the store.

3. mannshands

MCSMC:
    I live 50miles from the nearest pc shop. Here in spain you can't return electronics unless it is broken "fresh out the box". I had considered the wifi approach, but I was sure an external network adapter would work. It didn't. So the prob is not the network adapters. Why then, before I drive 100 miles and gamble 35euros, would I think the wifi would be a more likely solution than the ext. network adapter??What hardware is the network adapters relying on that is blocking my ISP connect thru ethernet AND usb?? Does the wifi adapter also rely on the same "support hardware"?
    Thanks for helping me.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Don't know if you've seen this page yet, but take note of the following caveat:

As far as the hardware support, the southbridge typically handles traffic from the ethernet electronics to the CPU. If the chipset software is corrupt, or if the chipset hardware is failing, then it's very possible that ethernet symptoms might present.
    Have you researched the possibility of a BIOS and/or firmware update that may address the problem?

5. mannshands

Hi Caliban, yes I know that Advent page. Is the wifi on the southbridge also. If not then it might be worth a try. I updated the chipset, but you are referring to flashing the BIOS? Is there a link to a how-to page? I have Hiren's Boot CD and remember a tester in there that does a chipset test. Is that accurate do you think? Sorry, don't remember the name of the program.
    thx

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  6. Caliban

Pretty much everything passes through the north- and southbridges.

I'd advise against flashing the BIOS unless you find an update that specifically addresses your problem - you'll have to research the motherboard manufacturer's website for specifics.

A chipset tester may be worth a shot, though.

That "warm spot on the upper right of the keyboard" is bothersome - make sure any fans are clean and running.

7. mannshands

Caliban: I took alot of data off the Advent using a crossover cable today. No problems, though the transfer rate seemed slow, 24hrs for 50Gb. I am puzzled why an isp connect cannot pass the ethernet yet data can pass???So, instead of buying a wifi router can I use a crossover ethernet cable, that I have on hand, and connect to the internet via connection sharing? I have another old laptop that has a working isp connection. If I use an external ethernet to usb network card adapter to bring in the isp connection to the old laptop, then use the crossover cable to connect the Advent to the old dependable Airis via ethernet, will this home network allow both laptops to connect to the ISP simultaneously?
    Both have the same version of XP.
    One more thing, my mobo is DIXONS SX, I can't find any info on this. I suspect another manufacturer made it for Dixon. Everest and ASC both give the DIXON SX as the manufacturer. Short of stripping the Advent to pieces, how can I get a proper ID to then see if a bios flash is available? Dixons uses TechGuys for all support. TechGuys support is limited to 1 page of general info. The only independent Advent users forum is I found is not active. Got any other leads on mobo IDs?
    Thx again

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  8. Caliban

I have seen AIDA32 and PC Wizard pull motherboard info that other diagnostics apps can't - they may be worth a shot.

Other than that, you may be forced to tear the machine down to mobo level, see if you can find any identifying labels.

As far as the connection sharing, sounds like it may work. I'd go for it, see what happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds