Network problem 2 computers 1 with internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NoFate, Jan 20, 2013.

1. NoFate

NoFate Private E-2

Problem occurred within last two weeks. Something along the lines of uninstalling/installing Nod32 antivirus or updating Windows.

Router = Linksys WRT160N V2

ISP = Cox Cable Modem

Computer A = Windows Vista Home (main computer)
    Computer B = Windows XP Home

I lost internet connection within the last 2 weeks for both PCS. After a combination of ipconfig /release - ipconfig /renew. Unplugging Cable modem and Router. Uninstalling - reinstalling Nod32 antivirus. Restoring Windows. Also resetting Router options. I am now able to get onto internet but with one huge mind boggling problem.

When both computers are off and I turn on Computer A, it cannot connect to internet. When I then turn on Computer B, Computer A then CAN connect to Internet. Computer B however cannot connect to internet.

So pretty much to be typing this post right now I need to keep two computers on so that just one can be on the internet.

Any ideas? I cannot figure this out :cry

2. FloatingPoint

FloatingPoint Private E-2

Hello NoFate,

It's almost as if computer B. is acting as a proxy or perhaps something in the arp cache however, it's hard to make this determination without knowing what your setup looks like.

1. Is the router Internet connection directly connected to your cable modem?

2. Are both of the computers each connected to their individual ether connection in the back of the router?

3. When you turn on computer A., what IP does it receive?

4. When you turn on computer B., what IP address does it receive?

3. NoFate

NoFate Private E-2

FloatingPoint thank you for the reply !

1. Is the router Internet connection directly connected to your cable modem?
    - Yes it is.

2. Are both of the computers each connected to their individual ether connection in the back of the router?
    - Computer A connected to the first ethernet connection. Computer B connected to the second ethernet connections.

3. When you turn on computer A., what IP does it receive?
    - I Pv4 Address = 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
    Gateway = 192.168.1.1

4. When you turn on computer B., what IP address does it receive?
    - Autoconfiguration IP Address = 169.254.70.177
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.0.0
    Gateway = ( blank )

Mmm, that shows that Computer B cannot detect or see the router right?

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

That is correct. Can you replace the Ethernet cable for computer b?

5. FloatingPoint

FloatingPoint Private E-2

That is correct...

If you we will concentrate on computer B, the address that you received is an internal Microsoft address (169.254.70.177) and computer A, has received the correct address for a 192.168.1.0/24. The first thing we will need to check his layer one that will be the physical layer. So for a now, we will look at things like the cables directly connected to make sure they are seated properly, as well as the NIC card.

I don't know what operating system you have but you wi'll need to make sure your network card is on. When you successfully turned it on and plugged the cable from the card to your router, you should see some blinking lights on the NIC card. If you see an address similar to comuter A, then try to ping 8.8.8.8.

6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Computer B is not being issued an IP by the router, for whatever reason. It can probably see the router since it has to be on for the connection to be successful. A test to see if the problem is only in the IP would be to set Computer B to a static IP.

In the network connection, go to Properties and TCP/IP, change the IP info to the following:
    Use the following IP address (click this)
    IP Address = 192.168.1.155
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
    Gateway = 192.168.1.1
    DNS server 8.8.8.8
    (this is a public DNS server hosted by google)

don't worry about a second server at this point, click ok.

Now try to connect to the internet with computer B. Does it surf the web without issue? If this works, but the physical setup is likely fine but your router is not issuing this system an IP

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  7. NoFate

NoFate Private E-2

Thank you for all the replies and great help. Was not able to work on the computers last night. Came in today and before checking the internet on Computer B I disconnected and then reconnected the cables going to Computer B.

Network works properly now. Either the router needed time to find the second computer (don't know why) or just reconnecting the cables made it work again (still kinda don't know why)

Thank you again ! :-D:-D:-D:-D

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I would replace the cable on computer b or you may have the problem again in the future.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds