Network Problems-Media State Disconnected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tubbsbright, Aug 11, 2009.

1. tubbsbright

tubbsbright Private E-2

Hi all,

I have a few problems on my PC, but the biggest is my inability to connect to the internet. If I can solve that, I might be able to overlook the other nagging problems. (#3 and #4)

Here's what happened so far....

1. After uninstalling Bitdefender, I was unable to connect to the internet
    (I've tried this before, and fixed it with restore to before the uninstallation and have been living with a weird installation of BD, but this time around there was no restore points)

2. Trying to Ipconfig, it tells me "Media State : Media Disconnected."
    Task Manager tells me "No Active Network Adadpters Found"

3. Device Manager shows nothing (This has been a problem for a while...12+ months, I think it was the result of a cleaning up a virus-I've been living with it)

4. I played with the recovery disk, and it since then it thinks my Vista is not genuine and asks for a Serial # on bootup.

Thoughts? I have my files backed up and I'm this close to resetting to factory defaults with the Recovery Disk.:cry

2. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi tubbsbright,

You may want to try...

1. create a new restore point.
    2. from another pc, copy the bitdefender software onto a memory stick or cd-rom.
    3. reinstall bitdefender back onto the problem pc.
    4. power down the pc completely.
    5. power up.
    6. create a 2nd restore point.
    7. try to connect to the net.
    8. if yes/no on the net surfing, I'd then boot to safe mode, uninstall bitdefender from there.
    9. reboot to normal mode.
    10. create a 3rd restore point.
    11. try to connect to the net.

Techsent

3. tubbsbright

tubbsbright Private E-2

Hey Techsent,

Thanks for the reply but I fear you're a bit too late. In my haste and panic, I figured I could spend a couple of hours on each of all my different problems, so I decided that a full factory system recovery was in order. I was looking forward to having a clean install of Vista...

...but I received a "Code Purple" after the recovery. It's basically HP's way of saying that the original hardware configuration has changed, and the dumb-downed OEM Vista installation wouldn't work. I called HP, and have *10* days left on my 2 year warranty, so I'm sending off for repairs. It'll take 4-6 days of shipping on the front end (empty box to me, then box+PC back to HP), 7-9 business days to fix, and 2-3 to ship back.
    We'll see about that.

Wish me luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds