Network ready printer issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by DuncanC, Apr 15, 2007.

1. DuncanC

DuncanC Private E-2

How do I find the URL of a printer connected directly to a network router? That seems to be what I need to solve this setp problem. I have tried using the IP address to setup the printer on my laptop (Windows XP SP2) but the "Printer Wizard" does not find the printer with it or the share name of the printer. The printer can be accessed from the laptop, but is listed as HP Photosmart 3200 on Kate's computer (The name used for my daughter's computer on our network). It makes sense that I should be able to do a clean and appropriately named printer install from the laptop, but alas no luck so far. Any help would be appreciated. Also the printer and all of the computers are in a workgroup but not a domain. The laptop is connected wirelessly and is what I am using to send this post. Thanks :confused

2. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

The URL should just be the ip address of the printer. I'm not really sure how you're trying to add the printer, but I can tell you how I do it: go to the "Add Printer Wizard" and select to add a "Local Printer" (uncheck the automatically detect plug and play printer checkbox). Click next and select "Create a new port." In the combobox, select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click next. That should bring up another window where you can type in the ip address of the printer. After entering the ip address of the printer, you then have to select the model of your printer.

3. DuncanC

DuncanC Private E-2

Thanks Jim. By chance around midnight I stumbled upon the way you did things and to my surprise I now have the printer properly installed. The HP drivers took about 20 min to install. Very tedious and 47MB later I pulled the plug and went to sleep. There's no end to the fun computers can bring into ones life.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds