Network service slowing down computer really bad.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Blueone, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I started to post about having a slow computer until I saw on startup that sychost.exe network service was pegging the task manger to 100%. I don't use a network so I disabled it allowing my computer to run super fast. I started to post about how my computer would go from super slow on startup to super fast about 3 to 5 minutes later but now I know why. Is disabling network service a bad thing and if not, is there a way to permanently disable it?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What version of windows? Which network service? XP SP3 has 6 services that start out with the word Network and Vista SP2 and Win 7 each have 5.
    BlackViper http://www.blackviper.com/
    shows Windows Services and what is a safe setting.

3. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

XP Home with SP3 and the name of the service was exactly what I posted earlier, sychost.exe network service. I see several sychost running, two local, two system and one network service.

4. plodr

5. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I went to Control Panel first, it shows 8 network related services and of the 8, two are disabled (Network DDE and DDE DSDM) the rest are in manual. Instead of changing them in the services folder I could keep on doing what I'm doing and stop them as while I'm booting up. The reason I say that is because I don't have a clue which ones should be disabled. Can things get screwed up by disabling stuff?

6. plodr

Not if you follow Black Viper's chart and set services as he recommends.
    I've been using his site for several years to set services.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds